well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    We closed!!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We closed!!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I cannot deal with houses without white ceilings. I need that reflected light! Colored ceilings make for a too dark house. White, white, white!
Big Grin
and some sort of off white neutral on the walls, I like how it contrasts with the lighter woodwork. (I like the color that is there now, why cant you just patch and sponge that color over the patches? Do you have their old paint cans? Once you get stuff hung on the walls, you will never notice.)

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
LL, wow, I’m having a hard time picturing green ceilings, is lichen green the paint color name? Gonna go google... got any pics?

Steve, I don’t know why but everyone I talk to says painters are in short supply here and you can’t get them to come in your time frame!! We went to the SW store yesterday and are going again tmrw, maybe I’ll ask. Mr. SK plans to do most of the painting himself, I’m sure he can do it but it’s the spackling and those things that I’m worried more about. And the trim and fixing that up...
If we could get someone instead and get down quick that would be better!

Jodi, the current color is a wee bit too dark for me. And, there are lots of places that look bad, I think it’s more than a bit of patching and sponging would solve.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I'll see about a pic in the morn. Think of lichens on rocks. A gray green, light.

I've been the cool look in the past. Now in the warmer stage. House is small 1865

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Mr. SK plans to do most of the painting himself, I’m sure he can do it but it’s the spackling and those things that I’m worried more about. And the trim and fixing that up...

Having seen Mr SK’s artwork I guarantee that he can do this and do it very well. Maybe not fast, but certainly well. Cool

Fast will come later.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he’ll be alright. The tricky parts will be when I can’t help him and he can’t quite understand the English instructions or needs to quick run out and buy a relpactment doo-dad...

It’ll all come together though Smiler

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I am late to the party (been on a social media diet) but I can never resist house stuff!

CONGRATULATIONS! Love the floors!!!

As for the smell, I have to say, in my old little old lady house, a coat of paint goes a long way to eliminate odors. I would first ditch any carpet, clean and then a fresh coat of paint.

One thing I have learned from tons of painting...Take the time for prep...spackling, sanding may seem like a waste of time or make you impatient to see the new color but do not rush it..and use some pro painter tips...My fav is to score the edges with a blade. The bit of a gully created helps to keep the paint from jumping the border, like from ceiling to wall. Others tips here Pro Painters And I would add good radio programs..music, NPR or podcasts...I sometimes hear repeats of NPR shows and think.."Oh, yea..that was the blue in the bedroom show." Smiler

I am not a fan of taping but I have been painting for ages...I just make sure I have a wet rag with me a while I paint. But if you tape, take time to seal it well and follow the directions.

And best thing..spend the money on the best brushes and paint you can afford..There is nothing worse than crappy paint or a horrible brush. If stranded on a desert island I would take a high quality 2 inch angled brush. Smiler

From Beelady who just in the last two weeks painted the basement stairwell and the gawd awful fake beams on the living room ceiling...(no tape was involved! But This American Life episodes were!)

I am so excited for you! Do not be afraid! Make the house as YOU want it to be! And have fun!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I know how to paint. I am really good at it. I did it professionally in college and I have painted by myself every place I've lived since then. Until I had to repaint my Missoula house before renting it out. Because of logistics I hired a painter my contractor neighbor recommended. I can't tell you how great it felt to have someone else do the painting and then I get to simply enjoy the results. I liked it so much that we had a pro painter do three rooms in our rental in Helena (the landlord paid).

I will never do my own house painting again. Hiring out is so very worth it.

Call your home inspector and get the names of some good freelance painters from him. Or look on the services offered page on Craigslist and check their references. Unless Mr. SK *wants* to do the painting himself.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
pique.... Yes I am of the same feeling...

But like learning to do long math on paper before using a calculator, first time home buyers are limited in budget..

And getting your hands dirty and learning about the process makes you appreciate the pros so much more!

Beelady, who DID hire pros to paint the walls and ceilings of the downstairs (OMG so much trim!)..and still do not regret it. Big Grin

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I actually really enjoy painting, but I never did it as a job.

Yes on buying a couple really good brushes. I like the Purdy premium ones. One fairly small one like an inch and a half for details and one largish one for things like window boxes should do you.

Oh, and splurge for a roll of good masking tape, too. I didn't go for the new-fangled green stuff, but the Scotch blue stuff is worth it.

Yes... it's all about the prep work. Probably half the time you spend is prep work. Then the actual painting goes very quickly.

And yes, always have a bucket with some water and a couple rags on hand. When you need to wipe up a splat, you want that within arm's reach.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
first time home buyers are limited in budget..

This! We decided we are going to pay to have the floor installed (only one room, thank goodness), and there are other things that we're going to have to pay to have done (some small projects for an electrician etc.) So we need to save money where we can. And as Steve has so kindly said, Mr. SK is an artist, although usually much smaller in scale, he has tons of experience working with paint, masking/prep, brushes etc. Too bad we're not going to do anything with an air brush, he's a master at that!