well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Writing desk, Amazon

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Writing desk, Amazon
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
I'm looking for a small writing desk. I'd like to not have pressbord because it rots in tropical climates.

Any recommendations?

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
No luck on Amazon, but I did find this teak desk on the Walmart website.

Out of stock, but maybe you can find it somewhere else:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ast...iting-Desk/384627138

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
If you are feeling creative, might there be some lumber yards in Hawaii that have cut down local trees and saw boards?

I just bought the most amazing piece of old heart pine, just 30 inches long, from an old house...It is now one of those cute bath trays over my old claw foot tub.

If you are handy, a nice slab of wood cut to size and then you can add legs from IKEA, hairpin legs or some such.

Much more fun and satisfying than Amazon and one of a kind! Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I'd like to not have pressbord because it rots in tropical climates.
Would you consider glass desk?

Perhaps try searching for "glass desk" on Amazon and see if anything catches your eyes?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
If you are feeling creative, might there be some lumber yards in Hawaii that have cut down local trees and saw boards?

I just bought the most amazing piece of old heart pine, just 30 inches long, from an old house...It is now one of those cute bath trays over my old claw foot tub.

If you are handy, a nice slab of wood cut to size and then you can add legs from IKEA, hairpin legs or some such.

I got all the way through university using a desk made of a door atop file cabinets on the sides. (Or was one side inexpensive drawers? Memory!)

I loved it - so much work space. (You'd want solid wood, of course).

I bought it the first week I arrived as I drove past an informal little sales set-up in front of a suburban house. Entrepreneurial students had put them together and were clearly doing very well. I've never understood why most students (in off-campus housing) don't do the same.

Pretty sure it only cost me $10 (in the dollars of the day). For that matter in my first shared apartment, we improvised boards on top of cinder blocks for bookshelves.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Good on you.

Alas, I'm not handy. Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
No luck on Amazon, but I did find this teak desk on the Walmart website.

Out of stock, but maybe you can find it somewhere else:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ast...iting-Desk/384627138

Thanks.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I'd like to not have pressbord because it rots in tropical climates.
Would you consider glass desk?

Perhaps try searching for "glass desk" on Amazon and see if anything catches your eyes?

Good idea.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

I got all the way through university using a desk made of a door atop file cabinets on the sides. (Or was one side inexpensive drawers? Memory!)

I loved it - so much work space. (You'd want solid wood, of course).

I bought it the first week I arrived as I drove past an informal little sales set-up in front of a suburban house. Entrepreneurial students had put them together and were clearly doing very well. I've never understood why most students (in off-campus housing) don't do the same.

Pretty sure it only cost me $10 (in the dollars of the day). For that matter in my first shared apartment, we improvised boards on top of cinder blocks for bookshelves.

Good times.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all!

I've seen this in wood called, "a parson's desk," at Amazon. This intrigued me.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Daniel, there should be a hotel furniture liquidator in the islands. They have amazing things at incredible prices sometimes. The one I shopped at here always had a nice selection of writing desks.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I've bought things at hotel liquidators and they offer a a good value.

One advantage is that if you like something you can usually get another 20 just like it at the same time! Smiler

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post