well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    And what's going on with college instruction, etc. policies?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And what's going on with college instruction, etc. policies?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Penn State (where I am) Is about to resume dorm (and off campus) living.
They've only instituted staged (rolling waves) of dropping kids off/moving in rules. Instruction is to be mixed - live and virtual.

Even though much/most of the town depends economically on the university (and FOOTBALL!!) on the ground, all the regular residents are dreading the reopening. We're fearing a major surge in cases. Up to now we've been pretty much spared.

But fraternities!?! And again, football!?!

PSU's (justified) reputation as a party school makes it all the scarier. Since when did college undergrads around here exhibet restraint?
It's oddly difficult to get specifics about the logistics of what's coming, but I was unnerved to see online plenty of dorm floorplans, including doubles and triples. Hopefully they were old plans, but they came up first in Google searches.

I've had my life minimally affected til now (except for all the ZOOM stuff replacing live meetings). Now...? All bets are off. OK, Boomer! Your time has come.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
And to make it personal...All this will be especially true of the cold months coming. It will be hard (for me, impossible) to walk outdoors then, and to count on nice socially distanced shopping, etc. And the increased nonchalance already abounding! As illustrated by more and more sloppy bandannas and masks slipping down noses. That is, even among middle-aged civilians. Frowner

Worse too that we only have this dinky small town hospital to rely on - right when it's become clear how much facilities factor in survival! Then too - for me - I live alone, and neither son (on whom I depend) can come. CA son can't fly in and MA son has just become subject to new rules mandating draconian quarantine if he visits any but a handful of "safe" states. PA is NOT one of them even now, and as to what's coming! To our little "Happy Valley" of Centre County especially.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Urg.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine colleges opening up right now, and I wouldn't expect them to be open for very long.

Time will tell.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
How many kids die before they shut it all down?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The Big Ten, of which Penn State is a part, canceled its football season.

Penn State is making rumblings about trying to cobble together a schedule. However, the other Power 5 conferences that haven't canceled are playing all but one game intraconference, so Penn State will struggle to find decent opponents.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post