well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lithuania at the receiving end of fake news

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lithuania at the receiving end of fake news
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The National Cyber Security Center of Lithuania is tasked with investigating the technical aspects, while the Strategic Communication units of the country’s Defense and Foreign ministries take on the disinformation angle, producing their own assessment of the nature of the attack.

“Both institutions rarely share evidence directly specifying who's behind it. This time they say they're ‘working hard on it’,” Saldžiūnas said.

However, there are “some clues” about hackers, Saldžiūnas said, “like sloppy English and Lithuanian.”

“I've been writing on both military deployments and debunking fake stories for years, so I believe it was just a matter of time before I became a target,” Saldžiūnas said, adding: “My bet would be on local proxies, perhaps on a payroll. The anti-American, anti-NATO, pro-Kremlin narrative correlation is uncanny.”

NATO -- and specifically the U.S. -- troops in the Baltics have long been the targets of the Russian disinformation, including cyber operations. Besides the fake “request to deploy nuclear weapons” in Lithuania cited above, among the most reported cases was a fake story about a U.S. military vehicle accidentally killing a local boy and getting away with the crime.

https://www.polygraph.info/a/f...attack/30341011.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Putin's plans

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
oh, yea. The Russkies have never gotten over little Lithuania thumbing its nose at them back in 1989....

I can recommend a great little documentary called The Other Dream Team - combination of basketball and history....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post