well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Laura makes Cat 4
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laura makes Cat 4
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Yikes. Making landfall tonight.

quote:
Hurricane Laura has strengthened into a Category 4 as it heads for a destructive landfall near the Texas and Louisiana border Wednesday night into early Thursday morning. A catastrophic storm surge and damaging winds will batter the region and a threat of flooding rain and strong winds will extend well inland.

https://weather.com/storms/hur...tion-texas-louisiana

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The phrase I heard on the radio was "non-survivable storm surge".

Yikes.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

Yikes.

Yeah, that one had me remembering Hurricane Camille and the people who tried to "weather" the storm in a waterside apartment complex. Twenty five foot surge took the complex down to the foundation.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

Yikes.

Yeah, that one had me remembering Hurricane Camille and the people who tried to "weather" the storm in a waterside apartment complex. Twenty five foot surge took the complex down to the foundation.

Since I grew up 60 miles north of Camille's landfall, our school showed us a movie about it every year that was designed to terrify us into never, never, NEVER underestimating a hurricane. It showed before-and-after shots of that complex and the bare slab that the storm surge left behind. The force of that storm surge was just unimaginable.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
According to this, that party never happened.

https://www.nola.com/news/weat...c2-1ad983263903.html

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:

The pictures in that article are amazing.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Bunch of live feeds from the hurricane zone.

http://www.hurricanetrack.com/

https://www.click2houston.com/...ne-laura-approaches/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
"Party" isn't the issue. The hurricane took a multi-story apartment complex down to the slab, and people were in the building. Do you dispute that, Jodi?

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
No. But I remembered the story about the hurricane party, and did not know that one of the survivors says that part was embellished, Or urban legended or whatever you want to call it. I’m fascinated by how many things I was told, and repeated as truth that have turned out not to be true at all. How things drift from the truth as they get retold. I googled hurricane camille party because I couldn’t remember the details and that’s the article that showed up. And I thought it was interesting so I linked to it.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I don't recall hearing about the apartment complex at all, party or not, so this was all news to me.

Steve's right. The pictures in that article are something else.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The problem with the area where the storm is going to hit is that it is very, very flat. They’re predicting flooding as far as 30 miles inland. That, combined with a 20 foot storm surge and waves on top of that could make for a lot of damage.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:

I believed in the party until I was in my forties, writing Artifacts. To write the hurricane scenes, I dipped into my memories of Camille and I read a ton of books. One of them was Florida Hurricane History and the other one was Hurricane Camille: Monster Storm of the Gulf Coast. At some point, I read the article Jodi posted and was sad to learn that the Richelieu party was an urban legend. I didn't want to rain on P*D's parade (rain...hurricanes...har har har), so I didn't point that out. I believe the Richelieu scenes in the movie that was shown to us every year included Walter Cronkite's mistaken reporting on the party.

The Richelieu, however, was real, and it was wiped away right down to the slab. Here are before and after photos:

Even though the woman who told the party story was...mistaken...I used her story about floating out a window while clinging to a sofa cushion in Artifacts, when Cally floats out the window of a hotel while clinging to a floating dresser drawer.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't want to rain on P*D's parade

Please people, where did I talk about a hurricane party and blame people?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
The anniversary of Camille was last week, and my Facebook feed is always awash in people's personal memories when August 17 rolls around. My uncle always talks about going down as a National Guardsman to help with the cleanup. My school friends talk about being terrified seven-year-olds.

It hit our house after dark, so I didn't see much, but I remember a tremendous cracking noise that was loud enough to hear over the wind. When we woke up, a tree across the street from us had broken off about fifteen feet above the ground. I used that sound and the way I remember the wind sounded when I wrote Artifacts. I also used the fact that Camille cut Ship Island in two.

A quarter-mile down the road, there was a small valley where all the trees were down in all directions, as if twisted into knots. There were tornadoes embedded in the storm, so we've always thought that one of them struck there.

When I read the book about Camille, I learned that nobody understood how bad it might be until some brave soul flew into the eye and reported a pressure of 900 millibars, which prompted civil defense folks to go door-to-door telling people to get out. The man in charge of civil defense for the area said that the pilot who took those readings saved a thousand lives.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
I didn't want to rain on P*D's parade

Please people, where did I talk about a hurricane party and blame people?

Did I say you blamed people? I didn't intend to.

I just didn't want to be that person who says, "Actually, that party was an urban legend." Smiler

And now I think I've insulted Jodi....

Shoot me now....

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com