well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I wonder what they're all thinking

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I wonder what they're all thinking
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
So this magnitude of a crisis is what I was afraid might happen with an administration that is clearly in over its head. I didn't know if it would be a nuclear war or something else, but I was afraid of something really big going south.

They had some reasonably qualified people at the onset, but they've left or (more likely) been fired and replaced with loyalists. That hire/fire cycle has been repeated until we're left with a ragtag group that is clearly floundering.

Budgets and experienced staff have been decimated in departments that are critical to managing this particular crisis. CDC, Homeland Security, State.

I wondered this morning how all of the people from Trump on down are feeling this morning as they find themselves responsible for dealing with this health and financial meltdown.

Also how members of his party feel as they watch the crisis unfold. Are they willing to admit, to themselves at least, that this is not the right person for the job. It's not about standing in front of cheering supporters at a rally; the rubber has hit the road.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37652 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also how members of his party feel as they watch the crisis unfold.

Well, they should be filled with a sense of guilt and remorse. It's their damn fault, after all!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
First question: Does I-1 actually feel responsible?

That is the persistent question when dealing with a sociopath. Does he recognize his own responsibility or is the inane carp he is spewing at the rest of us what he really thinks and believes?

And if someone pointed out to him that he sacked all of the competent people, like the DHS pandemics expert, leaving all of these positions vacant, would he even recognize that he did that. From his visible persona, probably not. He *always* deflects blame to someone else: Obama, Europe, Democrats, the "deep state", the media, us. Nothing is ever his fault. Nothing has ever been his fault. Ever.

And the sycophants he has installed in place of competent, qualified, experienced people are probably all cut from the same cloth. They are there because they have sworn fealty to dear leader. I would not expect them to recognize their complicity.

Again, as we've said for the last three years, let us hope that a few people in the Republican party in Congress, in the executive branch, governors, others throughout the country, those who still have some principles and spine will finally stand up and say "enough of this carp, the country is more important than the ego of this narcissistic worm." It hasn't happened yet. It didn't happen during his impeachment. It may never happen.

I-1 has systematically fired all of the adults in the room. And is now systematically sacking anyone rumored to be insufficiently loyal.

If Biden makes I-1's response to this crisis the number one talking point of his campaign, will it convince any of I-1's loyal supporters? Since they are still parroting the line that "coronavirus is a democrat hoax to try to hurt the president", I'm not inclined to think so.

What are they all thinking this morning?

"How do we spin this to make dear leader look good?"

That's all they've ever been thinking.

Stalin had all of the competent doctors shot. When he got sick, there was nobody left to treat him. On that note, watch "The Death of Stalin". It's painfully relevant.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

Stalin had all of the competent doctors shot. When he got sick, there was nobody left to treat him. On that note, watch "The Death of Stalin". It's painfully relevant.

Never knew the story. Film is on Amazon, but not Prime.

For anyone who is interested, here's the story.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com...th-stalin-180965119/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37652 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Put me in pj's camp. There may be responsible adults somewhere in this administration, but they're not being heard. Certainly the information and that god-awful speech indicates that this administration is completely out of touch, and more focussed on blaming someone else than in doing anything that is actually helpful.

I think the markets reacted to all that garbage.

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:

Never knew the story. Film is on Amazon, but not Prime.

For anyone who is interested, here's the story.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com...th-stalin-180965119/
That's probably a more accurate account. In the movie it was reduced to a couple of lines along the lines of:

"Get a doctor!"

"There are no doctors left... you had them all shot."

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Fake News is reporting that, behind closed doors, he is bemoaning, "why is this happening to me?"

Because it's all about him.

And, of course, no self-reflection or remorse.

Posts: 45719 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Fake News is reporting that, behind closed doors, he is bemoaning, "why is this happening to me?"

Because it's all about him.

And, of course, no self-reflection or remorse.
And no concern whatsoever about the good citizens of this noble country.

WWJD?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ding, ding, ding! pj wins.

quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler
He *always* deflects blame to someone else: Obama, Europe, Democrats, the "deep state", the media, us. Nothing is ever his fault. Nothing has ever been his fault. Ever.

Today.

Black man bad. Orange man good. No mention of how orange man did away with the pandemic preparedness unit in the WH that black man had set up.

quote:
President Donald Trump on Friday criticized the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for being ill-prepared to test for the coronavirus and he blamed President Barack Obama for the situation.

"For decades the @CDCgov looked at, and studied, its testing system, but did nothing about it. It would always be inadequate and slow for a large scale pandemic, but a pandemic would never happen, they hoped. President Obama made changes that only complicated things further.....," he wrote.

In a follow-up tweet, Trump continued his broadside, ".... Their response to H1N1 Swine flu was a full scale disaster, with thousands dying, and nothing meaningful done to fix the testing problem, until now. The changes have been made and testing will soon happen on a very large scale basis. All Red Tape has been cut, ready to go!"

On Thursday, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, testified at a House hearing that the U.S. has failed to meet the capacity for testing.

"The system is not really geared to what we need right now," he said. “That is a failing. Let's admit it."

Two issues have led to the slow process in testing for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. One was that the CDC had initially put out narrow guidelines for who could be considered for testing. Those criteria were eventually expanded and so far about 11,000 specimens have been tested, according to the agency. South Korea, on the other hand, has been testing nearly 20,000 people each day for the disease, according to reports.

There were also technical issues with the test kits in which they tested for more than just the coronavirus, and the glitch affected the integrity of the kit.

Trump tweeted Thursday that "Sleepy Joe Biden was in charge of the H1N1 epidemic which killed thousands of people," and said "The response was one of the worst on record."

Biden campaign spokesman Andrew Bates responded that Trump should focus on fighting the current outbreak instead of "desperately tweeting lies about the Obama-Biden Administration."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...lames-obama-n1157671

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
A mere seven months ago.

(I found this thread when I remembered I’d mentioned The Death of Stalin before.)

I-1 blamed Biden for thousands dying due to his horrible response to H1N1. And said he takes no responsibility for a botched testing plan.

*sigh*

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
A mere seven months ago.

(I found this thread when I remembered I’d mentioned The Death of Stalin before.)

I-1 blamed Biden for thousands dying due to his horrible response to H1N1. And said he takes no responsibility for a botched testing plan.

*sigh*

12K people died from H1N1. Covid deaths are at 208K and rising sharply.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34796 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Except that Trump defies all standards of logic and available record keeping, I can't fathom how he rationalizes Obama's alleged inadequate preparedness for a crisis like Covid 19 (and continues to make this claim repeatedly in public).

Even now. Especially, now, really.

There WAS a pandemic preparedness team complete with a "playbook" of steps to be followed in the event of such an emerging medical threat surfacing.

One of Trump's economizing* measures upon assuming office was disbanding that team.

This accusation which more than one commentator says with understatement, was "the opposite of the truth", is being repeated louder and louder now the more questions are asked about this great mistake (only one among countless others).

https://www.washingtonpost.com...3-4015174.1594219110

(Still searching for NYT article titled - paraphrase: "There WAS a pandemic response team established under Obama. I was its head and Trump fired me.")

*Actually, as Trump's motives for his many dismissals of Obama initiatives are examined (to protect both the population and the environment), the clearest underlying motive appears to be his knee-jerk response to undo anything Obama had put in place.

Same old deal, that the more a lie is becomes problematic, the more it's repeated. Bold-faced denial regardless of clear record-keeping showing the opposite. (Stalin, indeed.)
I think most of Trump's followers find it easier to listen to his latest reconstructions and claims, than to examine "alternate facts" demonstrating the opposite. Too much trouble to check out (and repudiate?) written sources from the past however recent.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
PLAYBOOK FOR EARLY RESPONSE TO HIGH-CONSEQUENCE EMERGING INFECTIOUS DISEASE THREATS AND BIOLOGICAL INCIDENTS

Finished and submitted in 2016

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post