well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Farmer John talks farming. And a little about Beloit

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Farmer John talks farming. And a little about Beloit
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Our CSA farmer's name is John Peterson. He writes a weekly newsletter, sometimes about what's going on at the farm, and other times, well, he just talks about what he wants to talk about. This week he discusses how farms and farming have changed over the years.

quote:
Farmer John Writes: Do You Love Farms?

https://angelicorganics.com/20...s-do-you-love-farms/

He mentions a documentary about his farm that I haven't watched yet. If you're interested, here's the link where you can watch it for free.

www.angelicorganics.com/watch-the-movie

quote:
Your Farm

Many of you know that there is a feature film about your farm, The Real Dirt on Farmer John, winner of 31 festival awards. I recently came across a list by film critic Rose McQuirter titled Ten Best Movies Set on a Farm. The Real Dirt on Farmer John made Rose’s list.

I noticed that this is the only film on the list that is a documentary; all the other films are fiction. I guess I have had enough drama in my real life to lead to a film that is as interesting as fiction films about farming. I’m not sure that’s a good thing overall, but the drama did get the film about the farm and me onto this list; it even ranked #4.

The Real Dirt on Farmer John

“The 2005 documentary The Real Dirt on Farmer John follows the real life of a unique and eccentric farmer, John Peterson, a big producer at Angelic Organics in Caledonia, Illinois. Over the course of the delightful film, audiences witness John make his farm successful despite a difficult economy and rumors being spread about him. John provides reality’s version of the farmer, a sometimes larger-than-life man who is often more interesting than fictional portrayals of farmers, and a man who was born to take care of the land.”

You can stream The Real Dirt on Farmer John for free from www.angelicorganics.com/watch-the-movie

We picked up our first box of veggies on July 8; we get one every other week. The first box contained beets, arugula, baby chard, kale, radishes (some almost the size of tennis balls and absolutely delicious), and Chinese cabbage.

I just got an email from Farmer John that there is a bumper crop of zucchini and cukes and that we'll be getting some extras of each in this week's box!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
The embedded photo of Beloit is in tiff format which does not show up in a browser.

I converted it to png

They could have found a better photo.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
thanks, mark! I wondered why that pic didn't show up.

Technology is not Angelic Organics strong suit....but they grow some great veggies....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Ooo..Will have to see it and share with our farmers.

We have a zuchini bumper crop as well. The cukes have been pickled with walls of jars on staff desks. We are permitted to use the commercial kitchen on weekends for our own use and right now pickles seem to be the popular theme. (We use the leftovers from our farmer's markets)

You might think you don't have enough zuchs after making this...Wow! We had it over pasta at a staff lunch. It was a fav!

Lib Koosa

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
WTG, THANK YOU for this film link..I just watched and it brought a tear to the eye..

I have sent it off to our staff at Mill City Grows so they can see where we came from and were we are going..

What John has done is what we strive for now but at the same time, we are about to embark on a farm preservation project (Huge! With Mass Audubon!). This film helps to inform us on our journey..

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing!!!! Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Glad you enjoyed it!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I put everything away and forgot to take a pic...we got kohlrabi, cukes, yellow summer squash, dill, bok choy, and turnips. The cukes are timely because the pickles in my own garden are just getting started and won't gear up for another week.

I have a ton of tomatoes. And a ton of Japanese beetles eating my green bean leaves. And squirrels that love to bury stuff in the raised beds. They also like to steal ripening tomatoes. Varmints....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I grew up on a dairy farm in eastern Ohio so I am familiar with the farming life as it existed when I was a boy. My sister and both of my nephews are still engaged in farming, but many things have changed since I left the farm to go to college.

If you'd like another glimpse of farm life, I can recommend this book.

We've been receiving our CSA share since the first week of June. The most interesting thing in this week's batch is some fennel. My wife is making a dish with Italian sausage and bow tie noodles that uses the fronds and plans to make a salad tomorrow with the bulbs along with orange segments, Calamata olives, and red onion.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendation, Big Al. A nearby library has it and I've reserved it.

Bazootiehead-in-training