Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Uber broke laws, duped police and secretly lobbied governments, leak reveals

https://www.theguardian.com/ne...al-lobbying-campaign

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mark MacGann, a career lobbyist who led Uber’s efforts to win over governments across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, has come forward to identify himself as the source who leaked more than 124,000 company files to the Guardian.

MacGann decided to speak out, he says, because he believes Uber knowingly flouted laws in dozens of countries and misled people about the benefits to drivers of the company’s gig-economy model.

The 52-year-old acknowledges he was part of Uber’s top team at the time – and is not without blame for the conduct he describes. In an exclusive interview with the Guardian, he said he was partly motivated by remorse.

“I am partly responsible,” he said. “I was the one talking to governments, I was the one pushing this with the media, I was the one telling people that they should change the rules because drivers were going to benefit and people were going to get so much economic opportunity.

“When that turned out not to be the case – we had actually sold people a lie – how can you have a clear conscience if you don’t stand up and own your contribution to how people are being treated today?”

https://www.theguardian.com/ne...obbyist-mark-macgann

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

I have never ubered. I never will. Nor will I ever drive a Tesla. An uber ride in a Tesla? Right out!

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I use Lyft, no Uber.

So, uh. Doesn’t this guy have an NDA?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Legal question: Can NDA's be enforced to prevent disclosure of illegal activities?

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
Legal question: Can NDA's be enforced to prevent disclosure of illegal activities?

Big Al
Most of I-1's victims seem to think so. Except Stormy Daniels.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I use Lyft as well, because of Uber's labor practices and generally slimy behavior.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I use Lyft as well, because of Uber's labor practices and generally slimy behavior.

Lyft here, too. Is it really better/less awful? I hope so, but…

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Huh. I haven't used Lyft. It's not an ethical thing for me. It's the fact it took me days to set up Uber. I've had only two experiences with Uber and they were like night and day.

I know the cabs here are expensive and unpleasant. Drivers don't wear masks, leave their windows open, so you are hot and breathing fumes.

I haven't looked at Uber prices lately, but plan to get into my account and make sure it's ok.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
When we first started using ridesharing apps, Uber had no way to tip the driver in-app. Lyft did. So we’ve always preferred Lyft.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I rarely ride in a Lyft or Uber vehicle. Nonehtless, I also used to think that Lyft treated their drivers better and I have prefrred Lyft to Uber for the rare occasions that I have hailed a ride. More often than not, I ask the driver if he drives exclusively for one or drived for both Lyft and Uber, and for those who say they drive for both, I also ask his opinion on which one he likes to drive for better. The most recent few rides, the drivers who drive for both say they prefer to drive for Uber rather than Lyft, they believe they make slightly better money from Uber than from Lyft for like routes. So based on that feecback, I have adjusted my view on which ride share platform treats the drivers better. This will continue to be adjusted from time to time based on opnions I get from the drivers, I suppose. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post