well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID super-dodgers

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID super-dodgers
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Meet the covid super-dodgers

The no-covid club gets more exclusive every day. And some members have no idea how they’re still there.

https://wapo.st/3z8FL9N

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's so easy to think you're special because it's "unlikely" you've avoided the disease so many others have gotten, even when you have seemingly been exposed (raises hand and waves it wildly Hi ). We want to think there must be a deeper cause inherent in us when the most likely answer is that for must of us it's just random chance.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scientists are narrowing in on why some people keep avoiding Covid. BA.5 could end that luck.

Beyond behavior, a person's genetics, T cells and the effects of inflammatory conditions like allergies could influence their Covid risk — but only to a point.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health...-covid-ba5-rcna39442

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
some members have no idea how they’re still there.

(pretty sure I've posted about this here recently but...) We know why we're still in the club -- we never are out in public without masks on, we aren't socializing indoors or dining in restaurants or traveling, flying etc. etc.

Random but related comment: I had a visit with a neurologist recently and based on our discussion, it seems like it may make sense for me to consider myself as someone who either already has an auto-immune disease or is at high risk for developing one. This is because I have migraines and current medical thinking is that migraine is most likely an auto-immune disease, and I also have several family members who have auto-immune disorders.

So my current covid-thinking is that I need to do everything I can to avoid getting it, not because I think it will kill me, but because I don't want to develop long covid and I don't think anyone can tell me what my risk for that would be.

-_-

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
We want to think there must be a deeper cause inherent in us when the most likely answer is that for must of us it's just random chance.

That's only partially true. Precautions including vaccinations, mask-wearing, avoiding group assemblies, particularly those indoors, and similar strategies surely account for a portion of the avoidance. Chance is only one factor.

I think many of us who have not so far contracted the disease would like to know if we have some inherent immunity that would allow us to relax some of those precautions and not have particular concern, just as we do not worry about other diseases for which we have been vaccinated. I know there is no sure thing because I have had measles three times in my life, but if the risk can be reduced to other rare risks like snake bite or lightning strikes, it would be much less of a worry.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7409 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think many of us who have not so far contracted the disease would like to know if we have some inherent immunity that would allow us to relax some of those precautions

Personally, I am pretty confident that our lack of covid infection so far is due specifically to our precautions, which is why I'm not comfortable letting up. Unfortunately. Frowner

quote:
I have had measles three times in my life

Eeker

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I am still COVID free (to my knowledge) despite my close contact with several known positive cases and being with 20 first graders every day. Who knows how, but I am not sad about it.

I had chicken pox twice and shingles once. Perhaps this is my reward?

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post