well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Question for coffee lovers
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for coffee lovers
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
I have been seeing a distinct dismissal of dark roasted coffees on coffee sites. Some roasters won’t even do a dark roast.

I sort of grew up on French Roast, and still like it. I don’t think they all taste alike, Or over-roasted. And since I experience acid reflux, the lower acid level works for me. I’ve had to give up tea because of reflux.

What are your preferences? Am I missing out-on lighter roasts? They taste sort of sour to me.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I've grown lazier so don't grind my own beans anymore. I still prefer a dark roast, so I get Trader Joe's French roast...

I've tried all sorts of expensive brands, but this seems to suit me now!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lazy here, too. And cheap. Used to get Intelligentsia but it got too pricey. My favorite little local roaster closed years ago; their coffee was phenomenal.

These days I make my own half-caf with Lavazza Perfetto and either Peet’s Major Dickason decaf or Starbucks Caffe Verona decaf. They are all dark roasts, I believe. I get them at Target or a local grocery store.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37907 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I have a Breville espresso machine. Using a light roast for espresso seems like asking for stout and getting handed Coors Lite instead ...

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I guess I just don’t like the assumption that I have a leaden palate if I don’t like light roasts.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Maybe it has something to do with the popularity of IPAs (beers) with the bitter taste profile?

Craft beer snobs moving on to coffee?

When I was spending more on getting coffee beans delivered, I really liked Batdorf & Bronsen for that rich, dark smooth cup. The beans even smelled great!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
re acid levels, did you ever try cold brew to see if that's less acidic (IIR it's supposed to be).

I have read that people make cold brew and then heat it up if they want hot coffee. Because of how it's brewed, reheating is said not to negatively impact the flavor.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18489 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Seems we're polarized with respect to pretty much everything these days!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37907 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Some of the smoothest, darkest coffee I've had has been cold-brew. A little place in Holland, MI.

I was heading out and asked for an iced coffee cold-brew with a little cream in it to-go. The guy behind the counter said "honestly, try it without cream first". He was right!

I did cold brew for a while and heat it, but it became kindof a pain...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The best coffee I've ever had in my entire life was a cold brew at an independent coffee shop (i.e. not a chain).

It was so good!

But I am way too lazy to do what would be need to make coffee like that for myself.

Plus, I subscribe to the pizza theory of coffee: even when it's bad, it's still pretty good. suave

Posts: 18489 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
It’s nice to see the majority here like dark roast.

I have been doing mail order from La Colombe in Philly...I like the coffee and they’ve been offering free shipping...though I also buy at their Manhattan cafes.

I have been ordering from some other roasters by mail, just to see if there are any differences.

Also tried Vienna roast, which is just a tad lighter than French. It’s interesting but won’t replace French for me.

I tried cold brew at a couple of coffee shops, but it didn’t do much for me. Maybe it wasn’t prepared very well.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Minority view here--I like light roast.

At Starbucks, I like the blonde roast.

At home, Quirt handles the Nespresso, but we get a lot of use out of the variety packs. He drinks the dark roast. I drink the light.

I find that I enjoy light roasts with cream or milk but no sugar. With dark roasts, I do prefer some sugar.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find that I enjoy light roasts with cream or milk but no sugar. With dark roasts, I do prefer some sugar.

I pretty much always add cream and sugar to coffee, but with the mythical cold brew, I added a small amount of whole milk, no sugar, and it was so amazing! Sigh.

I also love making cold brew oolong tea in the summer, it is soooo good. I drink that black, no sugar or anything else.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Light roast? It is fine for girls and maybe PeeWee Herman
Get my dark roast espresso from DazBog. Their espresso is the White Nights. I don't know about its acidity.
Amazon has it.
I buy it locally.
Their KGB is a dark roast I like, but White Nights is better for espresso.
DazBog was started by a Russian immigrant couple in Denver. It is very popular in the area.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
The only time I ever got excited about coffee was many decades ago when I was at an all inclusive resort in Jamaica which featured all you can drink Blue Mountain coffee at breakfast. Great stuff. Otherwise I don’t really care as long as I get a cup with breakfast.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post