well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Maryland, Virginia, and D.C

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maryland, Virginia, and D.C
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan issued a “stay at home” order for Maryland residents on Monday — further curtailing daily life in the Free State in hopes of slowing the spread of the new coronavirus.

“Every Marylander can be a hero, just by staying home,” Hogan, a Republican, said in a news conference outside the State House in Annapolis Monday morning.

Here’s what the order, which will be in effect starting 8 p.m. on Monday, means for state residents.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/c...uf3tztmsa-story.html

From a friend who lives in Baltimore; she's a researcher associated with the medical school in a university there. She has some critical experiments going on right now.

quote:
Our governor is closing down the state at 8PM tonight, and the dean and president are deciding if they can give me a special dispensation to spend a couple of days in the lab. I'm glad our MDs are making this decision instead of that A-Hole in the WH.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
From the front lines . . .

I read the 8-page order. Apparently, I'm the only one!

It says people have to stay home except for essential things. Essential businesses will be open, non-essential ones will be closed. No change there.

You'd never know it from the traffic! I was out doing my run, and the streets are jammed. People, people, people. Grocery stores will be open tomorrow, and they won't be jam packed. Pick up that carton of milk tomorrow.

And whoever wrote this edict didn't think it through. It lists various forms of recreation that will be forbidden. The list includes golf, driving ranges, miniature golf, ice skating, playground equipment, and so forth. Then there is a catch-all forbidding any recreational activities for which the state tax on recreation would normally apply.

Yeah. Um. The county-owned and school-owned outdoor tennis courts are free, so there is no fee or tax. Tennis is also not listed among the specific recreational activities. And even if they were covered, there is an exception for gatherings of 10 people or fewer, which would apply to tennis -- even doubles.

Yesterday, I was out and about and took a look at the closest bank of four courts. They were full, with people waiting to get on.

And I think my morning exercise group has continued without the instructor. I think, judging by the picture I saw, that they have separated into two parking lots and maintained social distance.

Cindy -- who got new running shoes from Zappos that feel wonderful

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize Virginia and D.C. were shutting down also. Title amended.

https://www.politico.com/news/...e-order-hogan-155610

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Yup, the whole region.

The MD governor issued guidance about some things that were unclear in the original order (e.g. "boating" is not considered exercise).

It makes clear that outdoor exercise that maintains social distance is permitted.

I'll be interested to see what it looks like today on my walk-about.

Oh, and Middle Sphinx, who lives in NC, wants to come home. She is working remotely and is missing us. NC doesn't have a stay-at-home order, so she was thinking she would drive up with her boyfriend and her 70-pound dog and hang with us.

I told her if she did she would have to stay for the duration, which could be a month.

What I didn't tell her is that I don't want her to come for a non-Covid reason: She is super messy and unwilling to help with housework. I do not wish to spend a month cleaning up after her and her dog.

Fortunately, the Governor's guidance saved me. It says that anyone coming into the state has to self-quarantine for 14 days. Neither of them will want to have to stay in the basement for two weeks.

Whew!

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post