Find
Notify
Tools

Darn
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I have a ton of wool blend socks that have developed small holes in them. I could replace them for not a lot of money but it galls me to pitch something that is basically OK but has a small flaw.
I decided to try to repair them and went looking for videos on how to darn socks.

I stumbled upon this video and was fascinated by the little gizmo that was used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhPUjTxQgHA

Turns out a Speedweve is a small loom used for making these kinds of repairs. They were manufactured in Britain. Apparently there are tons of Brits who are finding one in grandma's sewing basket and either a) have no clue what it is or b) know what it is and sell it on eBay for ridiculous amounts of money.

The same type of device was manufactured in the Soviet Union and tons of them are available on eBay and Etsy.

Just for grins, I decided to buy one and see how it works. We'll see how it goes....

wtg, saving socks from landfills since 2020.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37847 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That is really cool - let us know how it works! I’ve been buying Darn Tough socks. they are guaranteed for life (you get a new pair when you get holes in them) so far, no holes in this brand (but holes in the others I’ve bought)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20431 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Wow. That's a lot of effort for a patch that looks pretty weak when done.

Posts: 13633 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
They would look worse after I tried to fix them. Not happening.

Posts: 24681 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
jodi, which Darn Tough style(s) do you buy?

I don't need super heavy boot socks; I mostly wear a mid-weight crew sock. And I'll have to check their sizing. I usually buy men's socks because I wear a size 11 shoe.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37847 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I am also an 11. The large fits me (fit size 10 - 11.5) Most stores with sporting equipment and winter gear sell them.

They have light, medium and heavy socks. I like their lightweight crews, super cute colors and patterns. I have all different weights, for all my different shoes and boots - they are the only sock I wear in the winter (cotton makes my feet cold) They are not cheap. (I often try to find them on sale) but they are totally worth it.

https://darntough.com/collecti...riant=28843078221877

Here’s what I am wearing today. The continental divide trail comes through here, the sporting goods store that sells these socks say the serious trail hikers come through in the summer and exchange their socks. So far none of mine have holes. (And i am hard on socks)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20431 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
If it’s going to look that obvious, I’d rather use a cute patch and save some time. I do know how to darn knitting, and have done that before. with nearly the same color yarn, and it’s almost invisible.

Untitled by pianomom2001, on Flickr

Untitled by pianomom2001, on Flickr

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9794 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post