well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    No thread yet on the train derailment in Ohio?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No thread yet on the train derailment in Ohio?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The braking system being avoided is probably similar to the one required on passenger trains in Europe. Several died in a train crash in the east and there was a call for a safety braking system then. Politicians in the US have been listening to the RR companies so far.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25665 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
A friend was looking at Instagram and told me that the toxins in the river were moving to the Mississippi. She asked how much damage would my farmland suffer from the deaths of everything along the river. From what she said a lot of Instagram posts were focused on this matter.
I told her I expect the toxins to be diluted enough that any damage would not be widespread.
I wanted to say that the toxins in the environment had already destroyed common sense in far too many people.

Posts: 25665 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
So - who pays for this?

Norfolk Southern, apparently.

quote:
The US Environmental Protection Agency yesterday ordered rail company Norfolk Southern to clean up the contamination from the East Palestine, Ohio, train wreck. The move comes more than two weeks after emergency crews carried out a controlled burn of the leaked chemicals on the train, releasing toxic hydrogen chloride and phosgene gas over the area.

Under what's commonly known as the Superfund law, the EPA directed Norfolk Southern to follow an approved remediation plan, which includes attending public meetings, sharing information publicly, and paying for cleaning services offered to residents and businesses. If Norfolk Southern fails to comply, the EPA warned it would perform the work itself and seek triple damages.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37682 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
If anyone wants to know a lot more about train braking systems, this web page (Electro-Pneumatic Brakes) provides a clear and extensive explanation.

I also found this GAO report on the rulemaking pertaining to ECP brakes TRAIN BRAKING DOT’s Rulemaking on Electronically Controlled Pneumatic Brakes Could Benefit from Additional Data and Transparency. If you're going to require a change that could affect the approximately 1.6 million freight cars in the US fleet, you want to do it right.

I do think ECP braking systems of some sort will be applied to freight railroads and this accident will probably push that along faster, much as some accidents led to the eventual adoption of Positive Train Control (PTC) requirements.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7367 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Disaster.

Posts: 24617 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Hyperbole, Daniel.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7367 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Preliminary NTSB report is out.

Local reporting:

https://www.wtae.com/article/n...-derailment/43041391

NTSB report:

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amaz...stine-1677167554.pdf

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37682 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Well, again, I wouldn't want to be living there now, as governments rush in to say everything's fine, and will be, when they couldn't possibly know.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
ProPublica has a piece on the testing.

https://www.propublica.org/art...orfolk-southern-cteh

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
A light rail passenger train derailed in the Denver Metro.
Wondering whether the incident in Ohio has made derailments newsworthy. Are derailments common?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Almost 5 a day.

https://www.khou.com/article/n...16-a3a2-262942d50ec8

I don't know how many of those derailments involved hazardous materials, which of course is the East Palestine issue....

edit: Derailments involving hazardous materials..

https://www.kcra.com/article/h...ilment-risk/42925266

Bazootiehead-in-training