well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    No thread yet on the train derailment in Ohio?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No thread yet on the train derailment in Ohio?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted

Posts: 24653 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Since this happened in my region, it's been an ongoing topic on local news.

The initial fire and smoke plume was awesome. The smoke plume could be seen on weather radar for miles downwind.

The decision to burn off vinyl chloride rather than risk an explosion of one or more tank cars continues to be a question of best choice. Based on the newscasts of town hall meetings, I don't think reassurances of minimal risk by anyone including the state DEP and federal EPA will be sufficient to allay the fears of some nearby residents. There is a genuine fear of taking anyone's word regarding risk from the government or anyone else.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7379 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:

The initial fire and smoke plume was awesome. The smoke plume could be seen on weather radar for miles downwind.

The decision to burn off vinyl chloride rather than risk an explosion of one or more tank cars continues to be a question of best choice. Based on the newscasts of town hall meetings, I don't think reassurances of minimal risk by anyone including the state DEP and federal EPA will be sufficient to allay the fears of some nearby residents. There is a genuine fear of taking anyone's word regarding risk from the government or anyone else.

Big Al

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7379 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
So - who pays for this?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I was reading about this yesterday, I had no idea before then. It sounds like an absolute nightmare for the people who live there.

And it's probably going to happen more and more as America's infrastructure continues to age without good oversight.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:

Big Al

Very worrying! Frowner Since you're the most in the know please keep us posted.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that Obama passed a regulation requiring a certain type of upgraded braking system to be installed on all freight trains carrying hazardous materials but the Trump administration repealed the regulation at the railroad industry's request.

I read that experts believe that those brakes would have prevented this derailment.

So I suppose this is just one more mess that we can thank our favorite ex-president for.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry...16abe4b0255caaefab8a

Posts: 4390 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Buried deep within that article is the fact that this train would not have been required to have the brake system under consideration under the proposed regulation.

From initial reports, it is not evident to me that any type of braking system would have avoided the wreck.

I'll wait for the NTSB report to learn the lessons to be learned, but those typically take a year or more to be compiled and issued. They are ultimately the authoritative word on all sorts of transportation accidents - rail, air, roadway, pipeline, hazardous materials, etc.

From what I've seen on local news reports, nothing that anyone says or does will satisfy the concerns of some people near the accident. In an accident where no one was killed or clearly injured, the comparisons to Chernobyl that I've heard seem like hyperbole to me.

Big Al

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There was a segment on ABC's This Week with George Stephanopolous this morning. Two professors were interviewed about the East Palestine incident. Both of them agreed that more testing needs to be done and that it's possible that the various agencies may not be testing for all the possible chemicals that could be by-products of the vinyl chloride being burned off.

At the end, Martha Raddatz asked them whether they would stay in East Palestine right now with their families and both said "no". They both think there are too many unanswered questions.

I'll post the video and/or transcript as soon as they become available.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Transcript is now available. You can do a find on one of the names to jump to the relevant section. A video auto-starts, but it is not the video for the program but some kind of other ABC News programming.

quote:
There's been a lot of political finger-pointing in East Palestine. So, we wanted to bring together a panel of experts who can give us the best information about that chemical spill and the response.

Joining us is Samantha Montano, professor of emergency management at Massachusetts Maritime Academy, and Peter Decarlo, professor of environmental health at Johns Hopkins University.

Both of these folks were very calm and professional in their assessments. No hysteria or hype.

quote:
RADDATZ: Bottom line, would you move back to East Palestine if you were living there?

DECARLO: I have two little boys. I would not.

RADDATZ: OK.

How about you?

MONTANA: Not yet. Not until there's more testing.

RADDATZ: Very disturbing news, but thanks, both of you for your expertise.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politic...en/story?id=97313852

You need a cable provider or have to sign in with ABC to view this episode now. It becomes available a week from now for anyone to watch without signing in.

https://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want to be living there.

Yikes.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
In the "never read the comments, they'll make your head explode" department, I was reading the comments following an article on the derailment a few days ago.

Dumb comment of the day: the guy was blaming Biden because he passed that "huge infrastructure scam," so why wasn't this already fixed? Roll Eyes

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Kind of OT but I just learned that East Palestine is pronounced East Palas-TEEN. This fits with other town names around here.

Milan is MY-lan. Lima is LY-ma. Berlin Heights is BURR-lin Heights.

And here I was just getting used to “Tree Lawn” instead of “Parkway”. Smiler

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Kind of OT but I just learned that East Palestine is pronounced East Palas-TEEN. This fits with other town names around here.

Milan is MY-lan. Lima is LY-ma. Berlin Heights is BURR-lin Heights.

And here I was just getting used to “Tree Lawn” instead of “Parkway”. Smiler

I just heard “East Palas-teen” on NPR, so I guess that’s right. Like the New MAD-rid seismic fault line.

Around here, your tree lawn is a parking strip!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post