well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Getting a sump pump installed?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting a sump pump installed?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So there is a chance you could clean out the existing drains and the problem is solved? The Roto-Rooter solution sounds intersting....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We were basically trying to keep Lake Michigan out of the crawl.

Eeker

quote:
When you build a house on a lake and in the middle of the woods like we did, humidity/moisture are a problem. Our crawl space in the vacation home was concrete, which is why we considered the SealOnce system. The space with a concrete floor was a lot easier to dry out with a dehumidifier. Other people had just dirt or gravel (very humid) or they covered the dirt/gravel with plastic to trap the moisture.

The basement solutions companies all have some version of a "clean space" where they cover the dirt with plastic/vinyl tarp or sheeting (called a moisture barrier) and "encapsulate" the space. Then you put a dehumidifier on and it actually can work well. Otherwise, the dehumidifier fights with the dirt (not quite as bad as trying to sump pump out Lake Michigan, but not ideal).

One of the ways companies seem to try to distinguish themselves is to trash talk about other companies' moisture barriers....

By the way, thanks for those link WTG! I read through the ones you posted and tons others from one of those sites.... There wasn't anything that contradicts any advice I'm getting, FWIW

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
So there is a chance you could clean out the existing drains and the problem is solved? The Roto-Rooter solution sounds intersting....

Yeah, except I don't think that's the whole of it.... I dunno though...

We are getting the roof and gutters all replaced and new downspouts with new downspout extenders. And then we will have RR out to look at the existing drains. We may end up doing all of these things, plus the sump pump/crawl space encapsulation.... If we stay here forever, we'll benefit from all of it. If we sell the house, having the basement solutions plus warranty will help mitigate concerns about the basement etc.

Maybe. We're still mulling it all over!

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You don't have to do it all at once. You could do the gutters and drain cleanout (if it's an option) and see if that does the trick.

If it doesn't, move to plan B: Install inside drain tile.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Well, Mr. SK has been religiously cleaning the gutters and doing his best with the main box drain since last winter (2020), which was when we first had water in the basement. Then we didn't have any water in the basement for about a year, and then last month, water in the basement again. So we kind of want to be more comprehensive now. Plus, all this work, and getting contractors etc. is super disruptive and I want to get as much possible finished by the end of this summer. Not just the work itself, but dealing with contractors, getting quotes, all that. It's so time consuming and I have to do it all myself (unless some Japanese-speaking contractor magically appears) and I really need to not have this on my plate!

But I am most hesitant about the interior drain tile stuff, so yeah, either way I think we'll do that last... The question is when is "last"? This summer? Next summer? Time will tell! suave