well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Single Use Plastics
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single Use Plastics
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I try to avoid single use plastic as well. You can buy these reusable net bags that you can use to bag your veggies, instead of those bags in the produce section. They are super lightweight and add no weight to your veggies. No to straws, for a long time. We've also been doing reusable shopping bags. My method is the same as BeeLady's: sling them over the doorknob of the door heading to the garage, then grab them up next time I'm headed out and fling them into the back of the car. We have 3-4 in each car, so no excuse that you left them in the other car.

I wish I could do more to avoid the packaging insanity that is part of almost any item you buy.

Finally, DON'T FORGET CHOPSTICKS! Sure, it's fun to eat with chopsticks but if you really love it that much, bring your own reusable to the restaurant. Specifically ask for no chopsticks when you do takeout or if you're dining in and don't care.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Reusable grocery bags ... what is your system or process to keep them clean? Do you toss them into the washer along with your laundry on fixed interval?

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I am a failure at carrying my own bags. Some stores we patronize use paper bags. I'm not sure whether they're better, though.

You know how I remembered to bring my reusable bags?

I made myself buy them at checkout if I forgot. I'm cheap, so I started remembering pretty quickly!

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Reusable grocery bags ... what is your system or process to keep them clean? Do you toss them into the washer along with your laundry on fixed interval?

I used to wash them, but now I don't bother. I don't buy meat or things that leak. And I figure there is so much unsanitary about the stock room of a grocery store that I needn't be fussy about whether my box of pasta is in a recently laundered bag.

One thing that is going to be hard for me is ditching my single-use yogurt habit. I grab them for breakfast, I take them to lunch.

! guess I have to buy a large container and mix in my own sweetener and fruit (or live with only strawberry for the rest of my life).

Oh, how I suffer for our planet! Smiler

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:

My cotton ones (30 years old now) go in the washer. I have one that I made out of a horse chow bag my neighbor gave me. It has a great photo of a woman and her horse, perfect for jodi!! I made it with extra long handles so I an sling it over my shoulder.

It is made of tarp like plastic so I can just wipe it out. Works good for the leaky stuff and the cotton goes for the rest.

Many towns in our area, my city included, have now banned plastic grocery bags in larger stores..so it is forcing lots of folks to bring their own..a good thing.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I’ve used reusable shopping bags and rinsed ziplock bags for years. Beer cans are with a nickel in Maine so those are returned and recycled. Portland has a 5 cents per bag rule so that is a helpful reminder. I buy a lot of fruit and berries often only come in plastic. Growing my own solves the problem in July and September.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
I’ve used reusable shopping bags and rinsed ziplock bags for years. Beer cans are with a nickel in Maine so those are returned and recycled. Portland has a 5 cents per bag rule so that is a helpful reminder. I buy a lot of fruit and berries often only come in plastic. Growing my own solves the problem in July and September.

Jf

Mary Anna has planted some blackberry bushes for me. Every day she gives me a full bowl from the garden. In a couple of years, I’ll be eating blackberries three meals a day.

We have a cross fence to keep the dogs out of the garden. The German shorthair pointer helps me by munching on every berry that grows through the fence.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:

Jf

Mary Anna has planted some blackberry bushes for me. Every day she gives me a full bowl from the garden. In a couple of years, I’ll be eating blackberries three meals a day.

We have a cross fence to keep the dogs out of the garden. The German shorthair pointer helps me by munching on every berry that grows through the fence.

I have a huge raspberry patch that produces in July and again in September, but that leaves 10 other months of buying berries.

jf

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I also leave grass clippings in place - great fertilizer. And i throw raked leaves in the woods to decompose.

Neighbors who gather grass and leaves in large plastic bags and put them out with the trash drive me nuts.

jf

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Grocery stores here charge for bags but Home Depot does not. I'm not sure why.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
quote:
I am a failure at carrying my own bags. Some stores we patronize use paper bags. I'm not sure whether they're better, though.

I hang them on the door knob so when I exit the house I have no excuse for putting them in my car...I have a collection of bags in my car at all times..just have to remember to bring them into the store! Razzer

I can't tell you how many times over the last month I've had to ask the cashier if I could park my cart long enough to run to the car for my bags! I'm forcing myself to go fetch them because if I don't I won't break the habit of forgetting them! It's gotten quite a bit better actually. Today I remembered at Hannaford's, at the liquor store, and at the pet shop! (Bonus: The pet shop has a dish of candy for anyone who brings in their own bag. Heck yeah! Smiler )

I wonder if the grocery store would let you do this the way I do it at Costco: Load all the groceries back in the cart, and then I put it in the bags when I get back to my car. I have the receipt in hand when I go out the door. Costco always wants to load things into their discarded boxes, but I don’t want to take those boxes home with me!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I keep a plastic laundry basket in the back of my car for that sort of stuff. Around here, Costco will generally not load stuff into boxes--they'll just put it back in your cart. You can pile everything in a basket, which also makes it much easier to lug it into the house.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
quote:

I hang them on the door knob so when I exit the house I have no excuse for putting them in my car...I have a collection of bags in my car at all times..just have to remember to bring them into the store! Razzer

I can't tell you how many times over the last month I've had to ask the cashier if I could park my cart long enough to run to the car for my bags! I'm forcing myself to go fetch them because if I don't I won't break the habit of forgetting them! It's gotten quite a bit better actually. Today I remembered at Hannaford's, at the liquor store, and at the pet shop! (Bonus: The pet shop has a dish of candy for anyone who brings in their own bag. Heck yeah! Smiler )

I wonder if the grocery store would let you do this the way I do it at Costco: Load all the groceries back in the cart, and then I put it in the bags when I get back to my car. I have the receipt in hand when I go out the door. Costco always wants to load things into their discarded boxes, but I don’t want to take those boxes home with me!

Same. I never let Costco give me boxes. I tell them flat-out, I don’t want to have to tear up the boxes and recycle them.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post