well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Fiber, the superfood

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiber, the superfood
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
When we fret about the deterioration of the American diet, we tend to focus on the excessive amounts of sugar, salt, and calories we’re now eating.

What we don’t talk about: an important ingredient that’s gone missing as we’ve been filling our plates with more chicken and cheese.

Fiber. Only 5 percent of people in the US meet the Institute of Medicine’s recommended daily target of 25 grams for women and 38 grams for men. That amounts to a population-wide deficiency — what nutritionists call the “fiber gap.”

“People are so busy avoiding carbs, they forget that these foods give [them] important dietary components,” said nutritionist Julie Jones, of St. Catherine University.

Fiber is the closest thing we have to a true superfood — or super-nutrient since it’s a part of so many different foods. Eating a fiber-rich diet is associated with better gastrointestinal health and a reduced risk of heart attacks, strokes, high cholesterol, obesity, type 2 diabetes, even some cancers. That’s because fiber is amazingly helpful in many ways: It slows the absorption of glucose — which evens out our blood sugar levels — and also lowers cholesterol and inflammation.

These benefits grow the more fiber people eat. In a recent Lancet review of 185 studies and 58 clinical trials, researchers found that if 1,000 people transitioned from a low-fiber diet (under 15 grams per day) to a high-fiber diet (25 to 29 grams per day), they’d prevent 13 deaths and six cases of heart disease.

If fiber were a drug, we’d be all over it. But the average American gets just 16 grams per day — half of what we should be eating.

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/20/...ber-diet-weight-loss

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Not long ago I started eating one of those high fiber cereals - all bran. It’s like twigs in a bowl. Still, I down my 1/2 cup like medicine.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I know the type of cereal of which you speak. It's not very tasty.

How about more hummus and white bean dip ?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s like twigs in a bowl

We just call it cardboard (as in, I tell Mr. SK to add cardboard, "danbooru" in Japanese, to the grocery list), but your description is closer to reality.

I eat it stirred into plain yogurt with some granola mixed in.

I also eat fresh fruit and lots of veggies (usually steamed) every day, I wonder how close I am to the recommended 25g for women... Let's ask google!!

all bran 10g
banana 3g
apple 4g
salad 3.5g
steamed broccoli 5g

According to a quick and dirty internet search, I probably do get close to 20-25g on most days. (I eat all of those things every day, with the exception of broccoli, it might not actually be broccoli).

Anyway, that's pretty interesting, although I rarely have small or large intestinal troubles, so I'm not surprised.

I am very aware that I probably should decrease my refined sugar intake, I bet my fiber intake would go up if I started replaced some things with healthier options (like the granola in my breakfast, it's yummy because it's sweet!)

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
By the way my wife makes a savory granola. She mixes it with Greek yoghurt and fruit for breakfast.

When she bakes it the whole house smells like fennel.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
No fiber problems here. I buy whole-grain everything and beans and veggies and granola are staples.

I do indulge in a NY pizza now and then because the best ones are really delicious.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Vegetarian + seafood, for the win.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
By the way my wife makes a savory granola. She mixes it with Greek yoghurt and fruit for breakfast.

When she bakes it the whole house smells like fennel.

Oooh I bet that's yummy! and probably healthier than the Kashi Go Lean granola I eat...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I like Trader's Joe's Harvest Grains, which is mostly carbs but has baby garbonzos and quinoa, so it has some decent fiber. And I've started taking a psyllium supplement to up my fiber intake.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I've been eating a lot more cruciferous vegetables, leafy greens, and beans lately. On days when I cook at home and avoid fast food, I think I may be getting the recommended 25 grams.

My total cholesterol hasn't changed much yet, but my good cholesterol is up and my triglycerides were down about 25%. My A1c is back in normal range, too. Eating more fiber is way more painless than cutting back on carbs, which I've also been doing to some extent, so I'll definitely keep it up.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Going bananas

I let them get dark spots. Then I peel them and microwave them for 33 or more seconds.
Add honey. Call it dessert.

Have gluten free oatmeal for breakfast often. I add a little salt and cinnamon. No sugar.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think my chickpea intake alone takes care of me. But I'm always surprised at how much fiber some things have (like bananas, chas).

I haven't been able to manage the cereal that looks like sticks and twigs. I'd rather have grape nuts. (I am suddenly aware of the double entendre possibilities of that sentence Big Grin .)

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I think I’m pretty well covered by the olives in the martinis…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
OT, but have you tried the olives stuffed with lemon?

Yummy

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

I haven't been able to manage the cereal that looks like sticks and twigs. I'd rather have grape nuts. (I am suddenly aware of the double entendre possibilities of that sentence Big Grin .)

ROTFLMAO

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post