well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How to grill a pork loin?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to grill a pork loin?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
popcorn

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Well, I'd call it a qualified success.

So, my local Korean market had some things labeled "pork loin chunk". I got the smallest one which was about a pound and a quarter.

I didn't brine it... I wanted to make it for dinner the same night.

It was kind of wedge shaped. I cut a slit in the middle and stuffed it with orange balsam thyme, greek oregano and garlic chives. I put some sea salt and black pepper on the outside.

I fired up the center and right burners. By the way, with the ignitor not working, I've found I only need to light one burner with a match, then close the lid and turn on an adjacent burner and it will eventually light. Perhaps a bit crude, but it works. I let the grill heat up to about 500.

I seared the chunk about two minutes on each side, then turned the right burner off and the center burner to low. This yielded about 130 degrees on the thermometer on the lid. I put the meat on the right with the pointy end pointing right to keep it from overcooking.

When the meat thermometer read 130 on one side, I flipped it over and cooked it further until the thermometer was a little over 140.

I then wrapped it in foil and sealed it up.

About a half hour later, we were ready to eat. I pulled out the thyme and oregano stems and left the chives.

So, one side was not quite done. The thin end was not quite done. The whole thing was very tender and moist. It was delish!

We ate the done parts and stuck the rest in the fridge. I'll cook it the rest of the way on the stove tonight.

So... lessons learned... Turn it on both the X and Y axes to cook through. And maybe once on the Z axis, as well. I think for a bigger piece, I may have to have the left burner on low and the other two off, then cook on the right side. There's a lot of volume inside the grill, but the burners are pretty mighty. Stick the thermometer a couple of different places before deciding it's done.

Anything else?

Oh, and use a lot less salt. It was tasty, but I was thirsty all night. I almost never use salt when cooking.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Piano Juggler!
AdadioM alerted me to this request. I cannot believe that you remember that pork tenderloin after all these years! I am happy to share the secret, although Mr Adagio doesn't get the cred as it's my recipe (he may have done the grilling) Smiler
Marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup or less (your taste) brown sugar or regular sugar, or even measurable splenda depending on your carb preference
1 tablespoon of jarred minced garlic
1 tablespoon of jarred or tubed minced ginger
Red pepper flakes according to your tolerance for some heat. I like quite a bit in there
Marinate the tenderloin for at least 4 hours and even overnight or longer
Heat the grill until it hits about 600
Place the tenderloin on the grill and do quarter turns about every 3:30 minutes for a full time of about 15 - 18 minutes. When you put the loin on the grill, turn your grill to about the half way point on the knob (we have the same grill BTW and they're the best!)
The pork is cooked when it reaches about 135 internally.
Give in about 10-15 minute rest and then slice.
There is enough marinate here to do 2 loins and you can even freeze the bag of leftover marinade and throw another tenderloin in there in the future. I wouldn't use it more than a second time though.
Enjoy!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 16 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

The thermometers that come on gas grills are notoriously innacurate. I use one of these:

Wireless thermometer

One probe for the meat, one probe for the grill temp. It takes out a lot of the guesswork.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34959 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Hi, Galaxy. Yes, I remember the pork. It was that good. I also remember being required to play "Both Sides Now" to earn dinner. And a discussion of passive-aggressive college roommates.

Thank you for the recipe and ideas.

I will plan ahead next time and marinate. Either overnight or put it in to marinate in the morning to cook in the evening.

How hot do you have the grill when you are cooking it after searing it? Do you leave all three burners going?

By the way, my favorite marinade is:
Equal parts soy sauce (usually Yamasa) and rice vinegar
Equal parts ginger and Chinese mustard powder
Garlic

Thanks again!

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Looks great!

The thermometers that come on gas grills are notoriously innacurate. I use one of these:

Wireless thermometer

One probe for the meat, one probe for the grill temp. It takes out a lot of the guesswork.
Thanks, Steve. I'll look for one.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

posted Hide Post
PJ; I leave all 3 burners on at medium. With the regular quarter turns, this causes the grill to be around 350 - 400 degrees.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
It’s AdagioLady! aka Galaxy. Thanks for the recipe!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Galaxy:
Hello Piano Juggler!
AdadioM alerted me to this request. I cannot believe that you remember that pork tenderloin after all these years! I am happy to share the secret, although Mr Adagio doesn't get the cred as it's my recipe (he may have done the grilling) Smiler
Marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup or less (your taste) brown sugar or regular sugar, or even measurable splenda depending on your carb preference
1 tablespoon of jarred minced garlic
1 tablespoon of jarred or tubed minced ginger
Red pepper flakes according to your tolerance for some heat. I like quite a bit in there
Marinate the tenderloin for at least 4 hours and even overnight or longer
Heat the grill until it hits about 600
Place the tenderloin on the grill and do quarter turns about every 3:30 minutes for a full time of about 15 - 18 minutes. When you put the loin on the grill, turn your grill to about the half way point on the knob (we have the same grill BTW and they're the best!)
The pork is cooked when it reaches about 135 internally.
Give in about 10-15 minute rest and then slice.
There is enough marinate here to do 2 loins and you can even freeze the bag of leftover marinade and throw another tenderloin in there in the future. I wouldn't use it more than a second time though.
Enjoy!

Best. First. Post. On. The. Forum. Ever.

Welcome, Galaxy!!!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37901 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WTG: Thank you for your kind words. And a confession, this isn't my first post, and I was actually part of the early group in this forum in 2008 and back in those days, I was known as Adagiolady. I have no idea how I got the moniker of Galaxy. One of my piano friends of many years alerted me that PJ was looking for a recipe for a meal he had at my home many years ago. So here I am, after having found and reactivated my original email account, not even realizing that this forum still existed. Smiler

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Welcome back. I guess I forgot the "lady" on your screen name.

I hope you have the time and inclination to stay a while. I missed you. We're mostly the same wonderful peeps.

We miss teachum, as well, though I thought she did pop in once or twice in the last year.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hello Galaxy aka Adagiolady, welcome back. Hope you stop by more often.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Welcome back. I guess I forgot the "lady" on your screen name.

I hope you have the time and inclination to stay a while. I missed you. We're mostly the same wonderful peeps.

We miss teachum, as well, though I thought she did pop in once or twice in the last year.

I will alert teachum (my sister)to check in. This is a great example of how music and food (and other shared experiences) bind people together and create memories. In such a divided era, this has warmed my heart! I pretty much avoid all forums and Facebook these days, How do I reclaim my original screen name of Adagiolady!

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I just sent a PM to adagiolady. That should generate an email to the address from which you signed up. From that, you should be able to try to sign on and reset your password.

Cheers!

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My next adventure: I picked up one of those legs of lamb from Costco. (I thought they were usually from NZ, but this on said Australia.)

I got the smallest one at $22. The rest ranged in price from $26 to $36.

I plan to hack off a large chunk and do it like the pork loin, but stuff it with mint leaves from the pot by the front door.

I will also cube a good portion and skewer them on rosemary stalks — also growing by the front door.

We’ll see how much is left after that.

I’m open to suggestions.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com