well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How to grill a pork loin?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to grill a pork loin?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
My neighbor had an "old" grill at the end of his driveway with a FREE sign. I wheeled it home and started cleaning it up. Other than a decade of carbonized crud on it, the only thing that is wrong with it is the pushbutton starter doesn't work. He said it didn't work on the center burner. As far as I can tell, it doesn't work at all. The replacement part is $35.

It turns out it's a Weber Genesis E-330 which was like $950 when it was new. So I'm getting it cleaned up and ready for action.

Years ago, we had a piano party at Adagio's house. AdagioM was there, I think Teachum, and one other forumite and a smattering of spouses. Mr Adagio made a grilled pork loin that was amazing. It had a lightly crispy layer on the outside and the middle was moist and tender. I don't remember the seasoning, but if there was any it was subtle, perhaps featuring soy sauce.

I'd really like to learn to grill a pork loin like that.

Anyone have any advice? Or even better, step-by-step instructions?

BTW, I got out the portable grill for 4th of July, marinated a pile of chicken breasts, grilled a pile of corn on the cob (my fave!) and some Costco Food Court brand hot doggies.

I'm getting an itch to get my grill on.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
First, you got a deal. Weber is great for parts on hand. It should be pretty easy to rebuild.

Brine the pork loin for a few hours to overnight first. There are lots of recipes but even just salted water will work to get moisture into the meat. You can add whatever you like. There a many brine recipes online.

Then for grilling you need to do it indirect. This recipe is a good start.

https://www.crazyforcrust.com/...b-grilled-pork-loin/

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Perfect opportunity to "cheat" and sous-vide the pork first and then finish it on the grill with high heat to get the crust.

I always like pork encrusted with caraway seeds...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I'm not really big on caraway, but I let a couple of my cilantro bolt and I've been collecting the seeds. I love to use them when they are still green and fresh. They have a mysterious citrus-y bite to them.

If I'm going indirect, how hot should the grill be? And what internal temp am I aiming for?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
French sear that bad boy.

Brine the beast overnight. Rub it with something and let it sit for a few hours in the fridge. Salt and pepper will work. A little garlic is nice. Additional herbs are always good.

Heat the right side of your new grill as hot as it will go. Sear the roast on all sides - about two minutes per side. Move the roast to the cooler side of the grill. Insert the probe of a remote
reading thermometer. If you don’t have one you should get one. Removes all of the guesswork. They’re cheap.

Close lid and continue to heat roast until thermo says 140-145. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes before carving.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Thanks, guys. I'm not really big on caraway, but I let a couple of my cilantro bolt and I've been collecting the seeds. I love to use them when they are still green and fresh. They have a mysterious citrus-y bite to them.

If I'm going indirect, how hot should the grill be? And what internal temp am I aiming for?

Cool side should be 200-250 or so. New guidelines for pork call for an internal temp of 145.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The grill is a three-burner model with a fourth burner for searing between the left and center burners. It should be able to sear at a good 1000 degrees. Or melt lead if the need arises.

I also have two kinds of rosemary, at least a half a dozen kinds of thyme, plus sage, oregano, mint, and lavender in the front yard. (Someone here said not to cook with lavender as it lowers one’s testosterone.)

One of my fave things is to chop off some woody branches of rosemary, cut the ends to a sharp point, then use them to skewer big chunks of lamb. I baste it with olive oil, balsamic, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. I get the boneless legs from Costco and just cube them up.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I have a three-burner grill. When I bought it, the guy at the grill store warned me that, for most things, use the M-O-M setting ... medium left, center off, medium right.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
The grill is a three-burner model with a fourth burner for searing between the left and center burners. It should be able to sear at a good 1000 degrees. Or melt lead if the need arises.

I also have two kinds of rosemary, at least a half a dozen kinds of thyme, plus sage, oregano, mint, and lavender in the front yard. (Someone here said not to cook with lavender as it lowers one’s testosterone.)

One of my fave things is to chop off some woody branches of rosemary, cut the ends to a sharp point, then use them to skewer big chunks of lamb. I baste it with olive oil, balsamic, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. I get the boneless legs from Costco and just cube them up.

My chef buddy uses rosemary branches to make Caprese skewers - tomato and mozzarella chunks with basil leaves. Yummy

That sounds like a really nice grill. Grill parts are very much available aftermarket and if you want to you can probably make it last forever.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I've never brined. Gotta learn about that.

I use a Weber charcoal...love charcoal.

Indirect heat...as alow as possible AFTER a quick sear.

Marinated as desired before.

Always lots of pepper on the outside for a pepper crust.

Maple syrup in marinade, also crisps it so be careful.

Best one I did years ago with old dead apple tree branches on the charcoal, soaked for an hr before...ooh, just remembered I have apple tree branches that will be trimmed this week....guess I know what's on the grocery list!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I am familiar with putting wood chips or chunks in a pan at the back of the grill and letting them smolder. I have some chunks of cherry and peach I have been saving for this.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

What kind of rosemary do you have? Mine is all “Tuscan Blue”, which is fine but now I hear the fancy chefs go for a variety called “Spice Islands”. Doesn’t seem to be available locally and I may end up ordering it on line.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am familiar with putting wood chips or chunks in a pan at the back of the grill and letting them smolder. I have some chunks of cherry and peach I have been saving for this.
letting them smoulder is too cool. Bury your wood chunks under the hot charcoals. Better smoke flavor.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
quote:
letting them smoulder is too cool. Bury your wood chunks under the hot charcoals. Better smoke flavor.
What about in a gas grill? I have a little cast iron pan I’d just set at the back of the grate. I’d put a handful of chips in it and it would add a *bit* of smoke flavor. Weber sells a perforated metal box for this. My little pan was 50 cents at a yard sale.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

What kind of rosemary do you have? Mine is all “Tuscan Blue”, which is fine but now I hear the fancy chefs go for a variety called “Spice Islands”. Doesn’t seem to be available locally and I may end up ordering it on line.

Never answered your Q.

I have Tuscan Blue and something else that’s somewhat spicier. Not sure what it’s called. I snatched some cuttings from a bush along a street.

I’m heating up the grill for my first pork experiment.

Film at 11.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com