well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Wiper Blades
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wiper Blades
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The wiper blades in our Leaf squeaked so loudly I would actually jump on occasion when they swiped. I took it back to the dealer and they did something with screw settings and the pressure that the blades were using to press against the glass. Problem solved. Same blades, just a different setting.

Did I really pay attention to what they were doing? Of course not. But it did work, took a few minutes, and did not require new blades.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
The last wipers I got cost me a lot.

I went to the supply store. They were out of what I needed in back. extended mini van.

My old machenic was there and said he'd replace. After order came in. But then The back feature snapped off. He couldn't get the base off. Sent me to the new owners of his old place. Had to use special power equipment to unscrew it.

Sent me down to
Dodge place 3/4 hr from here. $$$ can't remember but something like $150
Then had to pay for that installment.

Grrr....

--------------------------------
The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
The wiper blades in our Leaf squeaked so loudly I would actually jump on occasion when they swiped. I took it back to the dealer and they did something with screw settings and the pressure that the blades were using to press against the glass. Problem solved. Same blades, just a different setting.

Did I really pay attention to what they were doing? Of course not. But it did work, took a few minutes, and did not require new blades.

I'll try this, Nina. It had to involve the difference in how the dealer handled it and this independent mechanic (that I am not going to use anymore).

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Another great theory shot to hell.

Do you really wash your own car? In the winter?

Nope...drive through car wash..BUT I do run a rag over the blades of the wipers..The dirt builds up and some rubber break down occurs to make the wipers squeak and streak. Takes only a few seconds.

And I use RainX window cleaner, especially in cold weather. The wax helps to shed the water so that it doesn't freeze and the salty water sheds off.

I pick the best blades I can get that have the most streamlined design. The more crevices at the joint, the more snow and ice that builds up.

Years ago I had some that had rubber sleeves, almost like rain coats to over the mechanism.

But they are never the same twice when I go to the auto parts store.

And in New England..shoot..buy them online? Who plans ahead like that?! Usually you dash to the local place cuz the blade is broken off or frozen solid! Razzer

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
While we are talking windshields, have any of you used Aquapel window treatment? Kindof like Rain-x but only applied once or twice a year. I won't drive a car without it anymore. It used to be available at the auto parts stores, but I can only find it online now.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Another great theory shot to hell.

Do you really wash your own car? In the winter?

Did that about an hour ago. The late February thaw has afternoon temps in the 40s. Quite the heat wave. The ice rinks are closed, but the skiing continues.
Don't think there is anyone here that washes cars for others.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post