well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Clean your phone! (Apple says it's OK)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clean your phone! (Apple says it's OK)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Apple has updated its website to let iPhone, iPad and Mac owners know it's okay to clean their devices with disinfectant wipes. The new advice comes as the ongoing coronavirus outbreak worsens globally.

"Using a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol wipe or Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, you may gently wipe the hard, nonporous surfaces of your Apple product, such as the display, keyboard, or other exterior surfaces," the company says. "Don't use bleach. Avoid getting moisture in any opening, and don't submerge your Apple product in any cleaning agents. Don't use on fabric or leather surfaces."

Apple previously advised against using anything other than water to clean its products because some substances can wear down the oleophobic coating the company applies to keep its touchscreen devices looking their best. Health and safety take priority in this case. That said, there are a couple of things you can do to take care of both yourself and your device.

Your best bet is to use isopropyl alcohol. Apply a small amount to a soft microfiber cloth and then wipe down your device. If you don't own a microfiber cloth, they're not expensive to buy. In a pinch, an old but clean t-shirt will also do the trick. Avoid spraying anything directly on your phone's display. You'll also want to avoid paper towels as they can cause small abrasions. After you've cleaned your phone, wash your hands as well.

https://www.engadget.com/2020/...t-wipes-coronavirus/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37682 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I cleaned my phone with a disinfectant wipe today!!

First time ever Leaving

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I cleaned my phone with a disinfectant wipe today!!

First time ever Leaving

Me too! And I took my own disinfectant wipes to the gym, because the liquid they have plus paper towel doesn’t seem absorbent enough to make a difference.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Used a tissue with alcohol and it worked well.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13771 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Help me out here.

Yes, you hold your phone up to your face when you are talking on it (like who does that anymore?), and you touch it a lot. But unless other people are touching your phone or coughing or sneezing on it, how is your phone a vector for virus?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30028 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Your hands are touching all kinds of stuff - objects, surfaces, people - and you can pick up the virus, depositing it on your phone. You put down the phone to wash your hands thoroughly, then turn around and pick up the germy phone. You're kind of back to square one.

At least that's what the docs I've seen on TV have said.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37682 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Apple.

Posts: 24617 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post