well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Never mind tidy, let's talk clean
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never mind tidy, let's talk clean
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
After reading that article, I am surprised I am still alive.

Posts: 4389 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
OK, I will modify my comment. I've never been sued for wrongful death by any victim's family. Big Grin

Big Grin

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
After reading that article, I am surprised I am still alive.

I’m kind of surprised that *she* is still alive.

Her house sounds like a chemistry set.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34822 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Amanda, I also microwave. I used to put them in the dishwasher, but I run the dishwasher after I have wiped and cleaned counters and dishes, so I would be sterilizing after instead of before. And the microwave takes 15 seconds instead of 90 minutes.

I wonder why microwave isn't the standard recommendation?

Posts: 19755 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The old recommendation was two minutes in the microwave or a spin through the dishwasher. Then someone took a closer look at what was left behind.

Toss it.

quote:
The thrifty among us may try to clean a sponge that starts to stink, but it’s probably time to let it go. Disinfecting it, as many have tried, does not necessarily work. You can microwave a sponge, throw it in the laundry or dishwasher, douse it in vinegar or other cleansing solutions or even cook it in a pot. But the researchers discovered more of the potentially pathogenic bacteria, like Moraxella osloensis, on the sponges collected from people who said they routinely disinfected them.

“When people at home try to clean their sponges, they make it worse,” Dr. Egert said — similar to how people can encourage antibiotic resistant bacteria if they don’t follow the doctor’s orders. He says if you can’t clean it perfectly, it may be best to replace it with a new one every week or so — especially “if it starts to move.”

But if you would rather not create that much waste, run it through a laundry machine at the hottest setting using a powder detergent and bleach and then use it somewhere other than the kitchen that is less hygiene-sensitive, like the bathroom.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/0...waving-cleaning.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37732 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I have a series of microfiber cloths (Amazon purchase) that I have stashed around the house for cleaning. They're color-coded which is also quite helpful.

At any rate, pretty much every night after dinner/dishes are done, I zap the counters with a spray cleanser and wipe them down with one of the cloths. Every week or so, they get washed along with everything else.

I primarily use sponges to scrub gunk that's stuck on the counters, and to clean pots and pans. Everything else goes in the dishwasher.

Will I die due to this practice?

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Well, if you're gonna die, so am I. What you do sounds pretty much like our routine.

It makes sense to be careful with things like raw meats, but even so, who here had a mother or grandmother who had separate cutting boards for different kinds of food?

I think the whole sanitizing thing is overblown. All things in moderation.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37732 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I get pretty fastidious with raw poultry. We don't eat pork, so that's not an issue. But that's really about the only thing I go a bit nuts over.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
facepalm

I stand corrected. At least *some* of our WTF grandmothers had separate cutting boards for different food. And dishes. And cupboards....

Big Grin

Regarding raw meats....my mom wouldn't have thought twice to put a piece of raw meat on the wooden cutting board, and then to slice onions on it without washing it off. She'd wash it off at the end.

I'm definitely much more careful.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I get pretty fastidious with raw poultry. We don't eat pork, so that's not an issue. But that's really about the only thing I go a bit nuts over.

No? I eat pork as a main meat, but hardly ever beef.

How do ya feel about chicken? That's the one I fear.

And I do sponge in the dishwasher. I heard microwave sometimes makes bacteria grow faster. ???

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
My mother only had one cutting board, but she was pretty finicky about washing it and other things that had touched raw meat. That probably had something to do with her being a nurse.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15502 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:

Regarding raw meats....my mom wouldn't have thought twice to put a piece of raw meat on the wooden cutting board, and then to slice onions on it without washing it off. She'd wash it off at the end.

I'm definitely much more careful.

I think of this as more of a post 1960's kind of thing. Am I wrong?

I also feel like meat was safer half a decade ago - or maybe we just didn't know better. Either way, I survived.... and I guess I owe Nina at least 1 thank you note!

rich galassini
cunningham piano co.
215 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

Posts: 2679 | Location: Philly/South Jersey | Registered: 17 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I hardly eat any meat (not counting fish) though I confess to still being daring enough to eat steak tartare on rare occasions.

Exception in prep being when sons (non-vegetarian) are visiting.

I am probably somewhat undercautious but I have been fortunate in not coming down with anything gastro in ages (with one notable exception - let those chopped scallions sit way TOO long!)

My hypothesis is the number of times I contracted violent food poisoning when I lived overseas is protective now (that includes dysentery which kept recurring for years). That would fit in with the notion that exposure promotes resistence.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post