well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Never mind tidy, let's talk clean
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never mind tidy, let's talk clean
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I think our house and habits are pretty clean, but now I'm told that dishrags must be boiled with bleach every day.

I'd say Lynsey Crombe has far too much time on her hands.

OTOH, I do like how she uses "Hoover" as a verb. Cool

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, I have a friend who changes the dishrags daily. I think she's crazy.

"Hoover" as a verb is a British thing.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Shilling for bleach is a thing.

Who knew?

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I think tidy is much more important than clean. Whether clean or dirty, a place looks dirty when it's cluttered.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Restaurants soak the table-wiping cloths in a bleach solution all the time. Seems like overkill for a private home. For that matter, most of the health department requirements for cleanliness seem like overkill for a private home. As far as I know, I've never poisoned anyone with my cooking.

However, I do put my sponges in the dishwasher every time I run it, so there's that.

As an aside, how many of you use the "sterilize" option on your dishwashers, assuming you have it? I've never bothered, figuring that the hot water cycle is good enough. I may have used it when the kids were tiny and were hosts to countless germs, but I don't think so.

I only use the cold setting on my laundry as well.

Nina - imagining eyebrows raised and discreet yet knowing looks across the interwebs at this revelation Big Grin

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I can't remember having read about this in English (meaning, I've read about in Japanese), but in Japan, the obsession with cleanliness has been argued to be a cause of rising problems with allergies. Something about an overly sterile environment resulting in an immune system that doesn't know what to react to and what to ignore.

I think our house, and habits, are both neat and clean, and I think both of those are important. But it seems to me that the article here is over on the side of too clean?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
If dishrags (or anything) were boiled in bleach daily, they'd fall to pieces.

What BS.

Microwaving for however long (occasionally) ought to suffice.

Most important IMO is to be sure dishrags are hung or otherwise placed so as to dry out rather than remaining damp for whatever reason.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Bleach is banned in some countries.
It is not good for the environment.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
As far as I know, I've never poisoned anyone with my cooking.

Sounds like survivor bias to me. Dead people don't send thank you notes.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
As far as I know, I've never poisoned anyone with my cooking.

ROTFLMAO

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
POTD.

ROTFLMAO

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
When I see articles like this I wonder what it would have been like living in times past when a bath might have been a twice-per-year luxury.

It's a wonder we survived it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Eat dirt....

That has been my mothering philosophy....

I do ditch the sponge now and then, but seriously...Super clean is not good in the long run.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
OK, I will modify my comment. I've never been sued for wrongful death by any victim's family. Big Grin

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post