well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Guest-worthy beef recipes?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guest-worthy beef recipes?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Nina, do you use an instant read thermometer?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yep! Though it's not often that I cook a big hunk of meat, so I'll have to go dig it out of my kitchen junk drawer.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yes. An instant read is crucial for steaks.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I would skip the flambé part.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yeah. That's unnecessary for the dish and invites stories to tell of 'the night I flambeed the guests'.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What did you make, Nina?

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I would have done a BBQ which does not need nice weather...I do them all winter!

Curious what you did as well.

For Xmas at cousin's, he roasts slowly a rib roast. Yum!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I ended up following Mik's advice, but tweaked it. Used tenderloin filets, thick cut, marinaded in dijon mustard and a bit of light soy sauce for about 20 minutes. Seared then into the oven. I had a few differently sized filets, which meant that when I took the largest to 120, then there were other done-ness options for those who don't like rare/medium rare. Sliced and served with stuffed baked potatoes and steamed broccoli, and a light local beer with a slight honey infusion (not sweet, just a hint). It was great.

I want to try a rib roast at some point, and this adventure gave me some confidence. I also ordered the veal glace for steak diane in the future, but it hadn't arrived in time for last weekend.

Thanks for the ideas!

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sounds great! ThumbsUp

I reverse seared my rib roast last Christmas and it came out perfectly!

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
One of the lame justifications advantages of not eating much meat is that I feel like I can spend to get good quality when I do buy it. The tenderloin came from a ranch in the Wallowas (NE Oregon, near Jodi's old stomping grounds), all organic, grass-fed. It was fabulous.

What is "reverse sear"? Off to google... Leaving

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I used the Food Lab recipe. Let me know if you need it and I will post it for you.

I made a few notes that might help:

1. Removing from oven at 120 degrees is a little too rare for most people. 125 degrees would be better.

2. Oven temp is way off at 185 degrees setting. Use oven thermometer.

3. Takes longer than recipe says. 10# roast started at 50 degree internal temp took about 7 hours at 185 degree oven temp.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Yeah. That's unnecessary for the dish and invites stories to tell of 'the night I flambeed the guests'.

Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Sounds great I did a rib roast a few weeks ago and found a good tip. Coat it with seasoned flour. Gives a nicer crust. Apparently restaurants use this. I’ll dig out the recipe today.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Caveat: I totally disagree with their roasting temperature, and they contradict themselves on time. I subscribe to low and slow for rib roasts. But the flour coating is great.

https://www.allrecipes.com/rec...yle-prime-rib-roast/

This is more the method I use:

https://carmanranchcowshare.co...asted-beef-prime-rib

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Any reason why I couldn't use these techniques for a non-rib roast? As in, a hunk of meat with no bones in it?

I know the bones impart great flavor, but they also impart great expense. Big Grin

OK, now the embarrassing question--does anyone know of a good website that lists all the various cuts of beef and what they're best used for, or better yet, your "go to" beef types for various things? (I said, I have ZERO experience cooking beef.) That's part of my hesitation at this point--not wanting to plunk down a hunk of change on a cut of beef only to discover that it's a bad choice for method X.