well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Guest-worthy beef recipes?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guest-worthy beef recipes?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
185???

7 hrs

More time than a turkey?

Cousin does 225 I believe and then shuts the oven off...not sure how long. MEd Large roasts

But it is always more rare than I like and I like pink!

--------------------------------
The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
My mom always seared high and then turned down oven. Delish. Old roasts seemed better than the newer low fat meats. Marbled is always tastier then low marbled.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
Cousin does 225 I believe and then shuts the oven off...not sure how long. MEd Large roasts

My next experiment will be at 225 rather than 185. I don't think it will change the result much and it should cut down on the time. I also think my oven will be a lot more stable at 225 than it is at 185.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Sounds great I did a rib roast a few weeks ago and found a good tip. Coat it with seasoned flour. Gives a nicer crust. Apparently restaurants use this. I’ll dig out the recipe today.

Looks great! I'll try it.

quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
does anyone know of a good website that lists all the various cuts of beef and what they're best used for, or better yet, your "go to" beef types for various things?

Not exactly what you are looking for, but here is a comparison of four different cuts for roasting. Recipe looks good, too. I like the idea of pan searing so you get drippings for gravy:

How to Make Roast Beef and Beef Roast in One Fell Swoop

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I picked up a two pound chunk of tri tip on my way home tonight. It was in the bargain bin - $4/pound. I picked it up because it’s one of the cuts mentioned in the article I recommended to Nina. It was also very cheap. Yes

I mostly followed the recipe I posted except I did not tie it in the interest of time, and I made no sauce. No matter.

I’ve had Santa Maria tri tip in Santa Maria and this recipe puts it to shame. Cut it thin against the grain and it’s nearly impossible to stop eating. This from an $8 cut.

All for you, Nina. I’m a giver like that. Cool

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
$4 for tritip is a steal. Buy all you can find and freeze.

I smoke it pretty regularly. Trying to find a Santa Naria topper for my grill.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That article is interesting, AND I know we have tri tip around here. That might be my next project. Mik had talked about a butter/shallot/red wine sauce that I didn't try, but wanted to. The recipe Steve linked to looks great, including the sauce.

Next Sunday, tri tip!

I'm so glad I decided to come out of my beef n00b closet. Smiler

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post