well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Guest-worthy beef recipes?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guest-worthy beef recipes?
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
I've invited 3 people over for dinner on Sunday, and I'd like to serve beef. I don't typically eat beef, other than the occasional grilled steak or burgers. It's not grill weather here (yet!), so I'm casting about for ideas of what to serve. I don't want to spend all day, but I'm willing to spend a reasonable about to get a good cut of beef (don't even know what that might be). I have a beef stew recipe that's good, but it doesn't seem all that special.

Do you all have any go-to recipes that use beef, that a beef n00b like me could pull off?

TIA. Smiler

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I love beef stroganoff made the original (Russian) way (read: use tenderloin or sirloin and never use round steak - sear the meat quickly and don't overcook), or Steak Diane.

this recipe is similar to how I prepare it; I like to add a little Worcestershire for some umami:

https://www.jessicagavin.com/beef-stroganoff/

Steak Diane (Julia Child's version):

https://thewaterissmiling.word.../julias-steak-diane/

Prep (chopping onions and slicing mushrooms) can be done before your guests get there. Cooking is last minute, but doesn't take long.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Here’s another steak Diane recipe. It looks really good, and easy.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/steak-diane

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That one looks better that Julia's. And I like that it uses tenderloin.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
If you are wanting to get a good piece of meat, go an actual butcher, not a grocery store. They can advise on the best cut for any type of dish. The most expensive isn't necessarily the best for every dish.

If you have no butcher in your area, maybe get over to Uwajimaya. I've gotten some really good pieces of meat from the meat counter there.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Instant pot or no?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Good thing I am almost vegetarian (and very rarely eat beef) or I'd feel completely left out here.

Not only don't we have a butcher in town (forgot they existed), but we don't even have an Uwajimaya. In fact, I never heard of them (a small country??)

*Snif*

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Miller steadfastly refuses to even taste things with mustard in them so I have never tried Steak Diane.

It looks really good! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
How about pork This is delicious and easy.

http://well-temperedforum.grou...0004433/m/4101031366

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That recipe looks great, but two of my guests don't eat pork, so alas.

If I do the Steak Diane, I've never flambe'd anything. Anything I should know so I don't burn the house down?

Thanks!

(I may chicken out (bad choice of words) and go for a beef stir-fry... not sure if I have the guts to try something brand new with guests, but the steak diane does look pretty easy.)

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The flambe is just for show; the alcohol will evaporate off pretty quickly in the hot sauce. Maybe use a little less.

If you do decide to do it, just be sure to extend your arm and the pan away from anything flammable like your hair and face.

Beef stir fry sounds good, too!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
That recipe looks great, but two of my guests don't eat pork, so alas.

If I do the Steak Diane, I've never flambe'd anything. Anything I should know so I don't burn the house down?

Thanks!

(I may chicken out (bad choice of words) and go for a beef stir-fry... not sure if I have the guts to try something brand new with guests, but the steak diane does look pretty easy.)
Oh, well, pork tenderloin is out then. Big Grin

One thing I really like to do is go to the butcher and get him to cut me a prime NY strip 2" thick. Season it and pan roast (sear on each side 2-3 minutes on a very hot cast iron pan then into a 500 degree oven until medium rare, slice it into chevrons and serve it with a red wine shallot butter sauce. Delicious and dressy. Great with green beans with roquefort and toasted walnuts and a green salad.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
hmmm, that sounds delicious too

It doesn't help that I'm hungry at the moment. Big Grin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
One thing I really like to do is go to the butcher and get him to cut me a prime NY strip 2" thick. Season it and pan roast (sear on each side 2-3 minutes on a very hot cast iron pan then into a 500 degree oven until medium rare, slice it into chevrons and serve it with a red wide shallot butter sauce.

I'm surprised you don't finish a 2" thick piece in a slower oven. Does it get done evenly?

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I have a lamb stew recipe to die for, and I often make it with beef. It's always a huge hit. If you are still interested in doing beef stew, I'll go dig it out.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post