well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Becoming

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Becoming
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted
In the middle of this and enjoying it very much.

jf

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Yep, a very good read. I enjoyed it immensely.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Definitely! Very uplifting.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Inhaled it on vacation, and loved it so much we got tickets to see her. She was here just last week after a weather postponement in February. My notes from that:

“The pre-show slideshow make me a little sad, missing the President and First Lady who were so often among the people spreading positivity and good will. She is so relatable; she seems like someone who could be in your own book group.

I bought her book when it came out, and inhaled it. What a great life story. I was afraid when she began talking last night that it would all be book recaps, and that would have made me sad about spending so much on tickets when I could hear it on Audible! But her thoughts on marriage and relationships (HARD!) and parenting were stellar. The emotional oomph she gave when talking about these particular subjects, and about meeting Barack, and election night made this night magical.

I loved her wrap-up. It’s on us to make the world the way we want it to be. “Don’t despair. Just do the work.” Get to know people who aren’t like you. It’s harder to be afraid of people you already know.

Let’s make it so!”

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I would have loved to see her in person. She seems like a genuinely warm and caring person. I did read "Becoming," and while I enjoyed it, it did seem to be very careful. That's the best word I could come up with. I think hearing her in person would offer a different vibe. If she ever goes on a speaking tour again, I'd definitely try to get there.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I would have loved to see her in person. She seems like a genuinely warm and caring person. I did read "Becoming," and while I enjoyed it, it did seem to be very careful. That's the best word I could come up with. I think hearing her in person would offer a different vibe. If she ever goes on a speaking tour again, I'd definitely try to get there.

Yes, she definitely was a little more free in her descriptions when telling the stories, vs writing them.

Did you see that she did a book club meeting at Broadway Books before her gig at Moda Center? So cool!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Wow.

Posts: 24723 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to publisher Penguin Random House, [Becoming] has sold more than 10 million copies — including hardcover, audiobooks and e-books — since its November release. That puts it near the top, if not the pinnacle, of all-time memoir sales.” It’s already the top-selling hardcover of last year, and it has outsold both of her husband’s books put together.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
According to publisher Penguin Random House, [Becoming] has sold more than 10 million copies — including hardcover, audiobooks and e-books — since its November release. That puts it near the top, if not the pinnacle, of all-time memoir sales.” It’s already the top-selling hardcover of last year, and it has outsold both of her husband’s books put together.

This doesn't surprise me. I never read memoirs, and I really want to read this one.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I could be very wrong about this, but based on the initial reaction, it struck me as more of a celebrity memoir than a political memoir. As such, I had not considered reading it.

For those who have read it, is that a fair assessment?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I could be very wrong about this, but based on the initial reaction, it struck me as more of a celebrity memoir than a political memoir. As such, I had not considered reading it.

For those who have read it, is that a fair assessment?

No. There is both. Lots of political behind the scenes kind of stuff. And more than both of those, it's about family.

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I think she's artfully woven the many aspects of her life into a great narrative.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agree with JF. What was interesting to me was her perspective as a first lady, how it impacted the family and their relationship. This is the sort of thing that we've really never heard before, unless you're talking about the total whitewashed "I've never been happier" types of memoirs that have been written. There is enough of the backstage at the White House to be interesting as well, but it is not a political memoir, either. If you're looking for an analysis of the Obama administration, this ain't it. Also, the book is fairly equal in the weight it puts on her complete life, therefore the WH years, while important, don't dominate.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post