well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Discover Online Privacy Protection

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Discover Online Privacy Protection
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I got a couple of emails from Discover on this new program and just got around to looking into it.

quote:
Clark Says New Discover Card Perk Is ‘Fantastic’ for This Privacy Benefit

If you have a Discover credit card or are a Discover Bank customer, you have a new perk that could save you some future headaches.

Discover has rolled out a new benefit called Online Privacy Protection that offers consumers free help in removing their personal information from websites that collect and sell your name, address and other details to shady actors on the internet.

These people-search sites are sometimes the source for spam calls, mailings and emails that end up as a nuisance for unknowing consumers.

https://clark.com/credit-cards...-privacy-protection/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I looked at that because I have a Discover card. However, you must have the Discover App to enroll in the program. Since I don't have a smart phone, it does not appear to be available to me.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7409 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Do you have an iPad or some kind of Android tablet? I think you can install it on one of those kinds of devices.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
I looked at that because I have a Discover card. However, you must have the Discover App to enroll in the program. Since I don't have a smart phone, it does not appear to be available to me.

Big Al

Tangent alert: It seems like it's becoming more and more of a requirement to have a smart phone in order to use some of these apps. It's definitely the case that the user experience that developers are working with is almost always the iOS or Android system, and not a PC or mac.

Case in point: Elderly man threatened with fine and detention for not using ArriveCAN app. He has no cell phone.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tangent alert: It seems like it's becoming more and more of a requirement to have a smart phone in order to use some of these apps. It's definitely the case that the user experience that developers are working with is almost always the iOS or Android system, and not a PC or mac.

Yep, I've noticed this a lot. I have a smart phone, and a tablet, so generally it's not technically (har) a problem for me.

But I do not like to type on my phone if I can avoid it, and there are soooo many benefits to using a laptop for things, for one, the larger screen, for another much greater control over and options for how you save files and info, so I really hate it when I can't choose and am forced to use my phone.

Oh, and then there are the telehealth providers who use whatever app they use and the way they see you is to send you a text to your phone and then you connect -- on your phone. You can't use a laptop even if you wanted to. Which is unfortunately IMO because of the smallness of the screen, and again, just the limitations....

BTW (more tangent), I have gotten into the habit of telling my students that they are expected to access course content and complete course assignments from a laptop, bc if I don't they access the class management system from their phones and try to do everything that way, but the end results are always *very* bad!
(and re access, students know they're supposed to have a laptop and there are services on campus to offer loaners if needed etc.)

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post