well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Meditation Anyone?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meditation Anyone?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by piqaboo:
I've been trained in both TM and mindfulness.
Mindfulness to me only helps in a specific moment if I remember in that moment. TM puts me where I have a better chance to remember the other stuff in the moment.
The making of lists etc, its all part of it, just notice and go back to the meditating.

My personal experience of TM is that there is a bucket full of stress and when the meniscus level of stress breaks, all hell busts loose. TM lowers the level of stress in the bucket, even w all the wandering thoughts, worrying, list making etc that comes while I'm doing it. When I meditate consistently, I notice, but more disturbingly, so do other people; after a week or so of consistent TM, people start saying things like I sound happy.

That is why I have continued TM with the bit I learned. Will take a local $10 class on mindfulness meditation. Have been reading about it and expect to prefer TM afterward.

What is the difference?

j

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those of you whose minds wander, one of the things my counsellor told me that really helped me was to think about it like floating down a river. Think of those intruding thoughts like other floating objects coming toward you. Gently push them away and watch them float down the river.

Yes, don't fight the intrusive thoughts. Send them on their way.

j

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The Mindfulness Meditation I have read about places a focus on one's breath or of one's body.
TM uses a mantra.
Practicing TM has started me thinking that during the day I had started thinking about things in a mindful way. (maybe I can fix that sentence in the morning)
Starting to think the differences are few.

TM costs more. It is trademarked. For a lesson pay $$$$.

For a mindfulness lesson click here..

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
An Effortless Way to Improve Your Memory
A surprisingly potent technique can boost your short and long-term recall – and it appears to help everyone from students to Alzheimer’s patients.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
An Effortless Way to Improve Your Memory
A surprisingly potent technique can boost your short and long-term recall – and it appears to help everyone from students to Alzheimer’s patients.

Thanks
I think most who play an instrument will confirm that.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Mindfulness Overhyped?

Benefits, studies, and limitations

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
mindfulness is really that - be in the moment, aware of what you are feeling, ready to control your reactions in this stressful moment.

TM is more (for me) like a lowering of stress build up overall. Which makes it easier to be aware and not reactive etc.

Both have versions of meditation. The mantra TM version works better for me. Yes, the official cost to learn is absurd.

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have gone from my uncertified version of TM to
my self taught mindfulness in one session without a conscious
decision to do so.
Have not exploded yet. I like the blend.
Do not know what I am doing, which bothered me at first.
I like it and plan to continue.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
"I'm so anxious about my mindfulness meditation..." Big Grin

I don't think there's a wrong way to do it. Just find what works best. I do remember TM saying that you had to do it at least twice a day for 20 minutes per session, which I found really difficult to do. I meditate when I can for as long as I'm able--but no way is it 20 mins/2x a day.

Like Chas, I haven't exploded yet.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
One Skeptical Scientist’s Mindfulness Journey

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eight weeks ago, I started meditating every day.

I knew I’d be going home to visit my family at the end of December, and well, I have a bad habit of regressing into a 13-year-old whenever I’m around them. All my old immaturities and anxieties get activated. I become a more reactive, less compassionate version of myself.

But this holiday season, I was determined to avoid fighting with my family. I would be kind and even-tempered throughout the visit. I knew that in order to have a chance in hell of achieving this, I’d need a secret weapon.

That’s where the meditation came in.

Starting in 2005, Harvard neuroscientist Sara Lazar began to publish some mind-blowing findings: Meditation can literally change the structure of your brain, thickening key areas of the cortex that help you control your attention and emotions. Your brain — and possibly, by extension, your behavior — can reap the benefits if you practice meditation for half an hour a day over eight weeks.

Just eight weeks? I thought when I read the research. This seems too good to be true!

I was intrigued, if skeptical. Above all, I was curious to know more. And I wasn’t the only one. By 2014, there had been enough follow-up studies to warrant a meta-analysis, which showed that meditators’ brains tend to be enlarged in a bunch of regions, including the insula (involved in emotional self-awareness), parts of the cingulate cortex and orbitofrontal cortex (involved in self-regulation), and parts of the prefrontal cortex (involved in attention).

A host of other studies showed that meditation can also change your neural circuitry in ways that make you more compassionate, as well as more inclined to have positive feelings toward a victim of suffering and to see things from their perspective.

Further research suggested that meditation can change not only your internal emotional states but also your actual behavior. One study found that people made charitable donations at a higher rate after being trained in meditation for just two weeks. Another study found that people who get that same measly amount of meditation training are about three times more likely than non-meditators to give up their chair when they see someone on crutches and in pain.

https://www.vox.com/future-per...source=pocket-newtab

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The most basic thing that I try to do, and what directly impacts my mental state, is get enough sleep.

Sometimes it's just the basics. Smiler

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
The most basic thing that I try to do, and what directly impacts my mental state, is get enough sleep.

Sometimes it's just the basics. Smiler

True
If I don't get enough sleep I fall asleep during the meditation session. Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
TM on Wall Street