well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    My Clavindorfer

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Clavindorfer
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
In Tucson at Bob's where I have a Clavinova that plays Bosendorfer samples.
Bob is having work done on his house. The noise is bad at times.
When the noise gets to me I retreat to my "Clavindorfer" and play it wearing headphones.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
What kind of headphones?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I have a Calavindorfer too!

My first Clav was from 2005 and it only had the Yamaha sound. But the second one is from 2018, well after they bought Bosie and incorporated the Bosie sound as an option.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
What kind of headphones?

Audio-Technica ATN-M45 which seem to be ok. What is best for digital pianos?
Have seen Sony MDR-7506 recommended.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I have a Calavindorfer too!

My first Clav was from 2005 and it only had the Yamaha sound. But the second one is from 2018, well after they bought Bosie and incorporated the Bosie sound as an option.

I remember that. You got the Ebony gloss. Wish I had. Mine is in the "office", which is the room where the dog sleeps and papers get stacked.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
What kind of headphones?

Audio-Technica ATN-M45 which seem to be ok. What is best for digital pianos?
Have seen Sony MDR-7506 recommended.
Your A-T cans look like they are in the same category as my Sennheiser HD 598s. I like them a lot, but I preferred my old HD 495 which were stolen a couple years ago. Those were light enough to wear for hours and hours. The 598s are a little chunkier and bulkier.

Sennheiser seems to have stopped making simple open headphones like the original HD 400. I'm looking for a new lightweight set for doing DuoLingo on my iPad. My last two pairs are so old, the foam has completely crumbled away to gummy black dust. I don't like earbuds especially for intermittent sounds. The cord rubbing on surfaces (like my sleeve) transmits white noise into my ear. It's very annoying. And the ones that just sit in your ear instead of with the rubber tips, they just fall out periodically.

When I was in college, I bought a set of Sennheiser HD 40s. They were inexpensive, light, and plasticky. When the foam disks deteriorated, I just cut a couple fresh foam disks. They were great. I loaned them to my girlfriend's cousin when he was living in our basement. He stepped on them and broke them.

*sigh*

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sennheiser seems to have stopped making simple open headphones like the original HD 400. I'm looking for a new lightweight set for doing DuoLingo on my iPad. My last two pairs are so old, the foam has completely crumbled away to gummy black dust.

We have a set of the original HD400. Same thing with the foam. I bought something these ear pads as a replacement a few years ago. Sort of OK.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see there's some outfit in the UK that sells what looks like a better version. Shipping is £5.99. I don't remember these being available when I was shopping around.

https://www.audiosanctuary.co....l-earpads-black.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about a Yamaha N1X digital piano with a grand piano action to let me truly grind away on some exercises without causing a marital problem. One issue is finding a space for it and the second is a lack of instruments in the area.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
I've been thinking about a Yamaha N1X digital piano with a grand piano action to let me truly grind away on some exercises without causing a marital problem. One issue is finding a space for it and the second is a lack of instruments in the area.

Thinking of getting the P-155 out of the box and setting it up in my garage in Colorado for similar reasons.
I like to turn my own practice noise down for myself and others.
Headphones are ok, but I worry about hearing damage. Huh?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
kluurs - You might try reaching out to Rich Galassini if you're ready to buy. But maybe you're looking for one to try out....

I checked Costco's website, but looks like they've suspended the Yamaha Road Shows, presumably because of COVID.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Ken - I ordered my Clav from Rich and they had it sent here. He got a good deal for my piano teacher too.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post