well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Well, well
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, well
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Ok.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Thanks Adagio and RP for your links!

Luckily, I subscribe to the NYT, but if there's any workaround to access WSJ articles, I'd love to know it, Adagio.

Mr. AM has a subscription, so I used the free share button. I don’t know of a way to get around, without a subscription. But here it is!

I don’t either.

WSJ paywall is solid. You pretty much need a subscription (paid or through a public library) or gift link to read articles.

Edit: NYT has recently tightened down their paywall. Reader view doesn’t work anymore.

Sometimes WSJ and NYT articles appear on MSN or Yahoo News a day later. Search for the headline for paywalled articles in a regular Google or DDG search and it may pop up.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Here's a bit of highly relevant context provided in the article, that's neither captured in the headline or the lede, but is important. Because in science, details are important.

"The new report highlights how different parts of the intelligence community have arrived at disparate judgments about the pandemic’s origin. The Energy Department now joins the Federal Bureau of Investigation in saying the virus likely spread via a mishap at a Chinese laboratory. Four other agencies, along with a national intelligence panel, still judge that it was likely the result of a natural transmission, and two are undecided."

So this is hardly a slam dunk.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
The assessment by the Energy Department was made with low confidence. In case that matters.

Here’s a link that should let you read the WSJ article online.

Yes, it matters. Statements like this mean, in very simple terms, "We think the virus was probably released from the lab, but would we bet the house on that conclusion? no way."

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
"Three Years Late, the Lancet Recognizes Natural Immunity
The public-health clerisy rediscovers a principle of immunology it derided
throughout the pandemic.

The Lancet medical journal this month published a review of 65 studies that concluded prior infection with Covid—i.e., natural immunity—is at least as protective as two doses of mRNA vaccines. The most surprising news was that the study made the mainstream press.

“Immunity acquired from a Covid infection is as protective as vaccination against severe illness and death, study finds,” NBC reported on Feb. 16. The study found that prior infection offered 78.6% protection against reinfection from the original Wuhan, Alpha or Delta variants at 40 weeks, which slipped to 36.1% against Omicron. Protection against severe illness remained around 90% across all variants after 40 weeks. These results exceed what other studies have found for two and even three mRNA doses."

I don't know what the source of the quote was, but it's not helpful science journalism. Comments like "three years late" indicate to me that the writer is probably more interested in getting people riled than reporting on new information. Three years ago, we didn't have this information. Now we do. That's really the story but it probably doesn't get the clicks.

I posted the NBC article (written by a doctor) about the Nature study right around the time it came out. Worth reading.

http://well-temperedforum.grou...983950897#3983950897

Amen.

In addition, everyone always assumed that natural infection gave a level of immunity protection. I remember how surprised I and others were when we realized you could get COVID a second time. The issue wasn't natural immunity; it was that you had to risk death with a first infection in order to get that natural immunity.

"Three Years Late" strikes me as slanted, unfair and probably untrue.

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:
The assessment by the Energy Department was made with low confidence. In case that matters.

Yes, it matters. Statements like this mean, in very simple terms, "We think the virus was probably released from the lab, but would we bet the house on that conclusion? no way."

Phrased in another way, out of all the possible explanations, a lab leak may have been the most likely explanation, but that still doesn't mean it's more likely than not. (And, even if it does, it doesn't mean that the probabilities are substantially above 51%.)

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:

Phrased in another way, out of all the possible explanations, a lab leak may have been the most likely explanation, but that still doesn't mean it's more likely than not. (And, even if it does, it doesn't mean that the probabilities are substantially above 51%.)

Well, yes. What I meant is that it mattered to me. Take it all with a huge grain of salt. Or maybe an entire shaker.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Yep, they think Covid started in a lab, but said, ‘They only have low confidence in the report.’ ‘Low confidence,’ which is just one notch above, ‘We have no freaking idea.’” — JIMMY FALLON

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Kind of hard to follow the controversy without being able to read the WSJ owing to the paywall.

To the best of my recollection there were three basic themes of controversies (having to do with the origin of the pandemic - not counting whether there were any sleazy doings to do with its spread across borders):

1) whether the virus originated via bat consumption.

2) whether the virus originated by a leak from Chinese labs where they were experimenting on it

3) whether the Chinese had been conducting secret "gain of function" research (ways to make the original virus more powerful by some kind of reverse genomic engineering which - ? - involved recombinant studies), Also, that the US had funded this at least in part, by contributing $ and/or cooperative studies.

(Spearheaded especially by the Evil Fauci.)

Apart from your virulent [sic] hatred of Fauci and his alleged lies, I thought the third claims were thes one you most supported and which was most rebutted on WTF.

*Still don't have a clue why you or anybody would think the Chinese had a motive for this "gain of function" research, all the less why the US would support it. Confused
(But again, since I don't have access to your linked articles, I don't know just what developments to the various controversies they discuss - and to which you are pointing.)

Bat consumption was never a theory. It was said it had originated in bat populations and spread to humans eventually. This is what we were told for years.

Yet just yesterday I read an article at NPR that attempted to prove it originated in different animals in the Wuhan market, in specific cages no less.

Yes, the Wuhan virology laboratory was doing gain of function research.

Yes, two US health bureaucracies funded it through a cut out organization.

Fauci was the head of one. Francis Collins was the head of the other.

All of this information is readily available on Google.

I don't care about Trump's racism. He attacked Mexicans in his first campaign announcement. He called COVID "the China virus." Why would I give his racism credence?

A vaccine with no data showing it stops transmission?

A lab leak theory is not "science"?

Words fail.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The vaccine may or may not stop transmission, but that is entirely beside the point.

It reduces hospitalization and death. That's the point.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
"Lab Leak Most Likely Origin of Covid-19 Pandemic, Energy Department Now Says
U.S. agency’s revised assessment is based on new intelligence

WASHINGTON—The U.S. Energy Department has concluded that the Covid pandemic most likely arose from a laboratory leak, according to a classified intelligence report recently provided to the White House and key members of Congress.

The shift by the Energy Department, which previously was undecided on how the virus emerged, is noted in an update to a 2021 document by Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines’s office."

Don't know if this should be a separate thread, but since this thread already has so many strands, perhaps this is a good place to stick this recent "revelation" by former CDC director,
Redfield. It's like a quote from Daniel's many claims (and to a degree also refers to the Lancet discussion, though that one focused more on the need for free investigation rather than on any particular conclusion).

Here there's more about the gain of function controversy, not "merely" the claim that it seems most likely that Covid originated from a lab leak.

It certainly echos Daniel's beliefs!
I'm all the more confused since intriguingly, it comes here from a Marjorie Taylor Green Twitter.
(Sometimes I have trouble following Twitterings.)

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/sta...Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
This is not new news. Redfield was talking lab leak two years ago.

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...leak-who-compromised

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
This is not new news. Redfield was talking lab leak two years ago.

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...leak-who-compromised

I clearly see the 2021 date on your link, wtg, but why in holy heck is it listed here as "BREAKING NEWS"??

And everyone's replying back and forth as if it is indeed new news?

(Perfect example of how Twitter scrambles my mind.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Virology is his field and he was CDC director in the Trump administration.

I have watched him being interviewed and found him convincing.

I made a post about it at the time.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
For the most part, "Breaking News" is meaningless these days. Everything is Breaking News. It's supposed to get your attention and make you watch, which translates to...

Munny.

Back to the lab leak topic...

From a two year old WaPo editorial by Josh Rogin. What he said then still holds true now.

https://wapo.st/3IZwvtL

edit: And a two year old article from Vanity Fair:

https://www.vanityfair.com/new...er-covid-19s-origins

Bazootiehead-in-training