well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What is it?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is it?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Bought this little cabinet on Facebook Marketplace. It just fits the space where we want to put it.

Top flips up and there are small shelves underneath it.

At first I thought it was for an office - files on top, mail on the shelves. Now I'm not sure. The top compartment has a false bottom that is supported by springs

Now I'm thinking record player, and indeed there is a hole in the back where a cord might have come through. Must have been just for 45s though - other record sizes won't fit on the shelves.

Your thoughts?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
No idea. I thought maybe shoe cupboard, but it's not quite right for that....

Whatever it is, I like it!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I think it's the case for a Victrola, but it's a most unusual style.

Are the shelves large enough for 78 rpm records? Most of those were 10-inch diameter.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
I think it's the case for a Victrola, but it's a most unusual style.

Are the shelves large enough for 78 rpm records? Most of those were 10-inch diameter.

Big Al

I'll measure it tomorrow.

It's made from interesting stuff. It's riff-cut oak but it's not quarter sawn. I've never seen anything like it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I was thinking along the same lines as Big Al, but the style seems a little more contemporary than what I normally think of as Victrola era.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I like it.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post