well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Spring is Springing!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring is Springing!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Last fall I planted some bare root day lily plants that I got from the premier day lily grower on the East Coast. They froze to the ground shortly thereafter, as expected.

Now they're coming back! Maybe too early - it's only March and we're sure to get more cold weather - but they give me hope!

Any signs of life around your place?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34839 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You knew I'd be first to respond in this topic, didn't you? Big Grin

These snowdrops came up in late January, a little early even for them. They've been hit with snow a couple of times, and may be again later today, but they keep trundling along:

These kids popped up a few weeks ago. Daffodils:

Saw a few buds on the sweet autumn clematis.

Signs of renewal and life after winter!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37779 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Frowner Frowner Frowner

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20413 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Nice job of shoveling that walkway. The edges are crisp! ThumbsUp

(Snow forecast here for tomorrow)

Posts: 34839 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
This has been the winter that just won't take the hint and leave for us in the PDX area. We got a pretty good snowstorm about 10 days ago (?) and there are still those ugly black patches of leftover icy snow in our yard.

It has snowed at least once every day since - some days heavier than others but still.... Until today. A harbinger of spring??

Fun side note: I was working from home and watching out the window as the street sweepers went by to collect up all the gravel and grit they had laid down earlier when the streets were icy. The street sweeper in use up here had a name painted on the side: Sweep Caroline. On the back: Ba Ba Ba. Big Grin

It totally made my day.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
This has been the winter that just won't take the hint and leave for us in the PDX area. We got a pretty good snowstorm about 10 days ago (?) and there are still those ugly black patches of leftover icy snow in our yard.

It has snowed at least once every day since - some days heavier than others but still.... Until today. A harbinger of spring??

Fun side note: I was working from home and watching out the window as the street sweepers went by to collect up all the gravel and grit they had laid down earlier when the streets were icy. The street sweeper in use up here had a name painted on the side: Sweep Caroline. On the back: Ba Ba Ba. Big Grin

It totally made my day.

Smiler

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

It totally made my day.

A selection of our local snow plow names:

Anita Shovel
Gordie Plow
Blizzard of Oz
Darth Blader
Pillsbury Plowboy
Sled Zepplin
Buzz Ice-Clear
Flurrious George
Snobi One Kenobi
Sleetwood Mac
Betty Whiteout
Ctrl Salt Delete
Edward Blizzardhands
Scoop Dogg

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:

A selection of our local snow plow names:

Anita Shovel
Gordie Plow
Blizzard of Oz
Darth Blader
Pillsbury Plowboy
Sled Zepplin
Buzz Ice-Clear
Flurrious George
Snobi One Kenobi
Sleetwood Mac
Betty Whiteout
Ctrl Salt Delete
Edward Blizzardhands
Scoop Dogg

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
High pollen counts and 8 inches of snow tell me that spring is about to arrive.
Expect the snow removal team to show up soon. They are the worst the HOA has hired in the 16 years I have been here.
There is far too much ice on the circle of asphalt I live on. Will put on Yaktrax for traction to carry the trash out or go
for a walk.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Today I saw a redwing blackbird. Apparently they’re common but I’ve never seen one before.

More plants are coming up in the beds - weeds! Mad

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
All's quiet here, captain. Temps went from warmish back to cold; it was 11 degrees one night late last week. I am seeing some of the buds starting to swell on the black currant bushes.

Typical windy March, too, which makes my daily walk a bit less enjoyable.

Every time I go to Costco I buy a few bags of soil to put in my new planters. They're a couple of bucks a bag off right now.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37779 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And we have a fresh blanket of effing winter. Mad

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
We saw the most beautiful pair of Eastern Bluebirds at our feeders last evening. I've never seen a bird so bright blue. Second time in 30 years.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
This winter has had very low snowfall compared to normal in the Pittsburgh area. As of today, there has been 11.4 inches of snow since the beginning of the year, which is about one third of the normal amount. The usual signs of spring such as flowers emerging from the ground seemed to start a little earlier, but some cold weather has gotten them back in synch with a usual year.

Trees are beginning to bud now. That faint tint of color in the woods as they appear is one of my favorite parts of spring and something I look forward to almost as much as fall colors.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7376 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post