well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Going Vertical

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going Vertical
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
YouTube has started showing cell phone videos in vertical view box, as opposed to the old horizontal box with two black stripes n each side.

It makes sense. These days many (most) videos are taken using cell phones and many people don’t bother rotating the cell phone to horizontal orientation when recording video. So the original video is vertical, and uploaded to YouTube as such. Many (most) views of YouTube are done on cell phones anyway. It’s good that YouTube has recognized this and adjusted their presentation of such vertical videos.

I was at CES and saw many vendors showing off large TVs with brilliant screens. And a quite few of them can rotate into vertical orientation. I suppose that may come in handy to watch vertical videos.

Those big screen TVs look impressive, but then I couldn’t shake the feeling that they won’t sell too many of them — it’s just more comfortable and more convenient watching stuff on a handheld device. In my house I rarely turn the TV on anymore.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12679 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
At some point as you age, staring at a tiny screen just doesn’t work anymore. I never watch videos on my phone. I was streaming a lot of movies on my iPad, but I got a 65” tv over Christmas, and I much prefer kicking back in the recliner and watching movies on it now.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20409 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ditto here. The only time I use the phone is if I'm stuck somewhere waiting for some reason and am killing time. And then I'm usually on WTF. Big Grin

I do still use the iPad some, but mostly it's the TV.

I think jodi and I aren't the target market.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37747 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Why watch a tiny screen?
My laptop has a 17 inch screen. Got a 65 inch TV a couple of years ago.
Even Bob has a 50 inch screen. Prices are down. am pushing him to go big.
Soccer is better on a large screen.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25668 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Just a personal habit ... for a while now, I found myself preferring to watch streaming media on an iPad mini. I can watch them just about anywhere, I don't have to sit in a particular place, or to sit at all. I could be lying down every which way and still be watching streaming media on an iPad mini much like reading a book in my hand. I have two big screen TVs in my house and every hotel room I stayed in has a big screen TV, I rarely turn any of them on. I cannot remember when was the last time I actually turn a big screen TV on. For new movies, I just watch them in movie theaters. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12679 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I hardly ever turn on my TV, either, but I take my iPad to the basement to watch Netflix or PBS Passport while on the treadmill.

I make my video tutorials with my iPhone; they’re closeups of my hands while I’m knitting (horizontal, of course). I’m teaching at Vogue Knitting Live in NYC this weekend; the first time I played my videos on a big screen TV for class, my hands were terrifying! You could see every wrinkle and pore!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post