well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Poison ivy!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poison ivy!
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck eradicating poison ivy using the Roundup labeled especially for poison ivy. I get it in a spray bottle and apply it directly to the poison ivy leaves. It's fairly easy to do without spreading it onto adjacent plants and you don't necessarily have to spray every leaf because the herbicide is carried down to the roots of the plant. I spray as much as I can without getting significant overspray on other things. It's helped nearly eradicate poison ivy around our property, which is important because my wife is allergic and one of our daughters is extremely allergic. She has had exposures from stroking a pet cat that has passed through poison ivy.

Definitely do not burn it. When I was a boy on a farm, we nearly killed my mother when we burned an old, collapsed shed that had been overgrown by poison ivy. The smoke drifted toward the house where my mother was working in the kitchen with the windows open. She breathed enough of the smoke that she had to have emergency treatment and didn't breath right for days following.

If you are not allergic, pulling it out by the roots is also effective, but sometimes allergies develop over time. I have not had a reaction in the past, but I don't want to risk one now. If I felt it was necessary to pull it out, I'd wear heavy rubber gloves with gauntlets as described to protect my forearms and then wash the gloves thoroughly while I was still wearing them to avoid any transfer of the urushiol oil onto bare skin.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I would go at it with roundup or some other heavy duty herbicide. I wouldn't worry too much about the nearby monkey grass (Liriope). It's really hardy, and comes back.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions everyone!

Lisa, I'll share your story (about reactions increasing over time) with Mr. SK, maybe that will scare him a little bit!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
You can tell him that the common name is "slow itchy death plant".

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
A couple things (this turned out to be kind of a brain dump, sorry!):

If you haven't been exposed to poison ivy before, it usually takes a few times before you start reacting to it. There wasn't any poison ivy where I grew up, so I wasn't exposed until in my 30s. The first couple times I realized I was standing in it, I freaked out, but when I didn't react, I got complacent figuring I was one of those people that aren't bothered by it. That tured out to be a bad assumption -- several years in, after several more non-reactive exposures, I ended up with a rash on my legs so bad I needed steroids to heal it and had to stand on a towel everywhere I went for 2 weeks because it was weeping so bad I was making puddles on the floor. So so so gross. (So first lesson - if you or Mr. SK have never been exposed before, you probably have a little leeway before you start reacting so no need to panic at the first touch!)

Now I am much more paranoid (obviously). That said, I have gone with the round up route (yes it might kill the grass but it will grow back) and have also pulled out small plants like the one you picture. When I pull them out, I usually use the "grocery bag dog poop technique" -- where I wear a plastic grocery bag like a glove, pull the plant, flip the whole thing inside out so the plant is in the plastic bag, seal it up, and toss. Not the most environmentally friendly way, but effective. Also, poison ivy doesn't tend to affect thicker skinned parts of your body (so you can generally touch it with your palms and you won't get it there). It's just that when the oils are on your hands and you rub your eyes or scratch somewhere else that you are setting yourself up for disaster. (The last several times I ended up with it, it's been on my face, usually where I wipe sweat, so be very careful to try not to touch your face.) That said, I wouldn't recommend just yanking it out without gloves or a bag for protection. But there have been several times when I found myself pulling weeds and came up with a handful of it that I didn't see because it was buried under other weeds. As long as you go wash it off with soap right away, you'll be fine. I read somewhere that it has to bond with your skin for like 20 minutes+ before it causes a rash.

On that note, pharmacies sell special poison ivy scrubs but they are super expensive. There's 2 different kinds - tecnu is just like an oil dissolving soap and Zanfel is like a scrub with grit (which feels awesome when you actually have poison ivy and are super itchy). That said, there's nothing magical about them that you can't get with other soaps -- Regular dawn dish soap works just as good as tecnu in my experience and I make sure I wash my hands with Dawn after coming in from weeding. If you want the gritty scrub like Zanfel, Amazon sells a scrub called Mean Green (actually, apparently, the name has changed to Full Bore - https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which is meant for cleaning the hands of people with dirty greasy jobs, but it works great for poison ivy and it's like a fraction of the price of Zanfel. (In fact, I read somewhere that the guy who invented Zanfel left and founded Mean Green using the same formula but he's not allowed to market it for poison ivy due to his noncompete, -- not sure if that is true, but it definitely feels like the same stuff.) Typically when I have been out doing yard work, I come in and shower and I will often scrub my arms, legs, and face/ears/neck with the Mean Green as a just-in-case measure. And when I do get a bit of a rash, scrubbing it with Mean Green works really well to scratch the itch and keep it from spreading.

I used a huge container of Mean Green when I lived in Massachusetts, I'd wash as a precaution any time I thought I was near the stuff.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
If you are washing up after possibly touching the poison varieties, use a washcloth - the friction of the cloth helps a lot in removing the oil.

Scrub as if you had icky axle grease smeared on and wanted to get it all off...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
You can tell him that the common name is "slow itchy death plant".

ROTFLMAO

This is perfect!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
FYI roundup is carcinogenic. Wear a hazmat suit for that.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Home Depot sells Roundup pre mixed. in gallon bottles with a battery powered sprayer. The sprayer is adjustable to a thin stream.

Wear plastic gloves and stand back. Direct the stream to the poison ivy. Easy does it - you can always apply it a second time. Overspray should be minimal.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Home Depot sells Roundup pre mixed. in gallon bottles with a battery powered sprayer. The sprayer is adjustable to a thin stream.

Wear plastic gloves and stand back. Direct the stream to the poison ivy. Easy does it - you can always apply it a second time. Overspray should be minimal.

I have the same set up for killing grass and weeds.

I used it for the first time yesterday. Let's see how it works.

Posts: 24717 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post