well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Speaking of technology done wrong....

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of technology done wrong....
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
Target registers went out nationwide today.
Wonder how much they lost. Somebody did not do their redundancy/high availability homework right.

https://www.cincinnati.com/sto...saturday/1465476001/

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It's hard to believe that Target isn't set up to eliminate single points of failure.

OTOH, they recently had a mammoth data breach problem which tells me they aren't spending enough on their point of sale systems.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I spent a year up in Michigan designing and standing up network systems. I'm certainly no expert on the subject but I know enough to identify that single point and avoid it with redundancy and failovers. I suspect there will be some introspection after this.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, the computer system at Abrazo Health Hospital in Phoenix is down and it's causing all kinds of problems. My daughter-in-law's father is in that hospital after an injury and she is trying to look out for him as best she can.

News story here. That's her being interviewed starting at about 50 seconds in.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Thats a serious problem if they don’t have robust downtime procedures. Here’s hoping they do - and that is more likely than not.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Let's hope so. Getting him him the correct medications on time has been a problem.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
That is actually a bigger problem with CPOE than before it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Target registers went out nationwide today.
Wonder how much they lost. Somebody did not do their redundancy/high availability homework right.

https://www.cincinnati.com/sto...saturday/1465476001/

It's not just lost sales. I heard that people abandoned shopping carts full of merchandise and walked away in frustration. The labor to restock all that stuff doesn't come cheap, either.

They may get some of the sales back, but I'm sure a good bit migrated to Walmart. And I wonder, having been to Walmart, how soon those frustrated customers will return to Target.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think we'd be surprised at how razor-thin the operating budgets are for a lot of organizations, not just retail. It's expensive to invest in good infrastructure, and the prevailing attitude seems to be "well, it won't happen here, or at least not this year, so let's defer that expense...."

etc., etc., etc.

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often, tbh.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Penny wise and pound stupid.

Target management deserves to get slapped around.