well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Dallas is dying.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dallas is dying.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Damn this is hard.

Dallas, the giant puppy, who I’ve been posting about since 2008, has reached the end of his life. These damned dogs just don’t live long enough.

It’s a degenerative disease in his back. First he couldn’t jump in to the truck, then he couldn’t climb up on the couch. It doesn’t seem to be pain, just weakness. Unfortunately, he can no longer get up when he lies down. I have to lift him. When he needs to move he barks in a most pitiful way. He also barks like that whenever one of us isn’t right next to him. Breaks my heart.

What a wonderful companion! We planned our vacations around this crazy dog. He lived to swim, and swim he did. Several different dog beaches, streams in the Sierras, a muddy little pond in a dog training place near the house and a swimming pool at a fancy ass dog kennel out in the desert. Yeah, Dallas has had a great life.

As I promised.

Dallas was offered for adoption on a website. It turns out that his owner had married a woman who had two older dogs and Dallas was much too enthusiastic. Rather than admit his mistake, his owner agreed to put Dallas up for adoption. 10 different people wanted him and it turned into an essay contest on who would have given him the best life. Let’s just say I did very well in creative writing in high school, because I painted a picture of absolute dog Nirvana. We got the dog.

As it turned out, the life I promised for Dallas wasn’t that far off of the truth. I do have a big yard, I do have another dog for him to play with, I do buy the best dog food for him and I did take him to the school so he could play on a regular basis. I do work from home. I took him swimming, I took him camping, I gave him chewies and treats and all kinds of things because he liked them. Crazy dog loves olives. I made sure he always had them.

But now he’s lying next to me and he’s crying. He’s had dinner, treats, water, painkillers and steroids. I grilled him a steak for dinner. He doesn’t want me to pet him.

This is no way to live, and if I get to this point please put a bullet in my head.

There is a local lady who will take dogs at the end of their life and put them down. She actually comes to the house and everyone says she is wonderful, kind, and compassionate. I put in the call. She’ll be here tomorrow.

I know it’s the right thing to do. Why do I feel so terrible about it.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry. It's an awful choice, but you're making the right one.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your impending loss, hope this all goes mercifully for Dallas.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I am so, so sorry, Steve. But you have given Dallas a fabulous life, and Dallas knows that you love him.

May his passing be easy. Hugs to you.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Oh how sad.

I feel so badly for you, but you did give him the best life ever, and he loves you.

He doesn't wanna live like this either.

HUGS, HUGS, AND MORE HUGS...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Awww. Sounds like you gave him a great life.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh Steve I’m so, so sorry. This is just hard. But you’re doing the right thing. I’m glad you have someone who will come to your home so Dallas can be at home and you with him.

Comfort

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18504 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Comfort

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37926 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Oh, Steve, I'm so sorry. Know that virtual hugs are going out to you, Dallas, and your family.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Very sad, Steve. It’s so tough when we have to part with our pets.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know it’s the right thing to do. Why do I feel so terrible about it.

Because you're human ...

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Oh, I am so sorry. What a wonderful life you have given Dallas. Comfort

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry, Steve. You and Dallas were lucky to have each other. Now he's very lucky you can help him head off to the great swimming hole with peace, dignity, and love.

Hugs and treats.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, Steve.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post