well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lindsey's Turn
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lindsey's Turn
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's whataboutism when you only give examples of what the other side is doing wrong.

I did bring up the Red Hen situation. Because I didn't remember the details (namely that the owner decided to ask her to leave rather than other patrons accosting her).

When you pointed out you thought it was different, I bothered to look up a couple of better examples.

Please, don't go all pedantic on me. You know the point I'm trying to make. You may disagree with it, but you know what I'm trying to say.

We have to find better ways of addressing our differences. Full stop.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37881 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Consequences for actions...

I respectfully disagree.

This is not sustainable in the long run.

Here's my thinking - Taking a stand against the crazy train is different from enthusiastically jumping on the crazy train and then deciding to jump off at some point. Once the choice is made to join the crazy train and inspire more of the hatred that is part of the crazy train mentality, you pretty much deserve what you get...

This has been brewing for a long time and too many politicians have been complicit in nurturing and creating this mess.

And it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08...ssessment/index.html

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
It's whataboutism when you only give examples of what the other side is doing wrong.

I did bring up the Red Hen situation. Because I didn't remember the details (namely that the owner decided to ask her to leave rather than other patrons accosting her).

When you pointed out you thought it was different, I bothered to look up a couple of better examples.

Please, don't go all pedantic on me. You know the point I'm trying to make. You may disagree with it, but you know what I'm trying to say.

We have to find better ways of addressing our differences. Full stop.

And ejecting Sanders' party from a private establishment is potentially a fine way of expressing social disapproval of bad behaviors. We had a good discussion of this at the time, and many of us (me included) were all over the map on that issue. But that choice may be a good response, and it's substantively different from your bad-behaving-lefties example and my bad-behaving Trumpist examples. Making important distinctions isn't pedantic. It's how we make intellectual progress rather than simply expressing feelings and lumping unlike things together.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What astounds me is why anyone would continue to ally themselves with Trump and then be shocked when he turned on them. His demands for loyalty are always one way only. You need to be loyal to him and he will throw you under the bus whenever he wants. Without exception. This isn't hard, folks. Everyone's time has come when working with Trump. Then you have the really special people, like Cruz, who return for more.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
What astounds me is why anyone would continue to ally themselves with Trump and then be shocked when he turned on them. His demands for loyalty are always one way only. You need to be loyal to him and he will throw you under the bus whenever he wants. Without exception. This isn't hard, folks. Everyone's time has come when working with Trump. Then you have the really special people, like Cruz, who return for more.

Play stupid games...

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post