well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I fought hard for you ...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I fought hard for you ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Covid won ...

I recently had a twitter "discussion" with someone from MA -- not an antivaxxer -- who was upset that I mentioned how my empathy bucket was pretty empty for people who consciously choose to ignore the last century of science about vaccinations. In addition to alluding to how much better a person he was, he said that the "death rate" from COVID in MA was now "only" three times higher for the unvaccinated than it was for the vaccinated ... i.e. even people who do everything right are dying in droves.

For starters, total deaths in MA are in the 60-100 per day range. Bad but not huge numbers. Secondly, even if the fraction of deaths was exactly as he described, in a population that is 75% fully vaccinated the death "rate" among the vaccinated would be very small compared to the "rate" among the unvaccinated. So many smart people (even liberals!) seemingly have real trouble thinking about "rates" within a population.

Posts: 12495 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Some of us have a math phobia. Have you no compassion?

Big Grin

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21302 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

As I said, my empathy bucket is getting empty! Wink

Posts: 12495 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I tune for a doc....

At his hospital all of the covid cases except one 80+ yr old lung cancer survivor were unvaxxed.

His wife said he snapped at a patient on the phone the other day "well, make sure your will is up to date" talking to someone unvaxxed who wasn't feeling well.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
His wife said he snapped at a patient on the phone the other day "well, make sure your will is up to date" talking to someone unvaxxed who wasn't feeling well.

This is very relatable.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Unprofessional, but very relatable. Everyone has that kind of day.

At some point last month, my wife was advising one of her pregnant patients to get vaccinated now instead of waiting till after the birth. The evidence had rolled in that not only was it not harmful, but it was clearly beneficial. The woman started to protest that she doesn't want to hurt her baby. My wife looked her in the face and said something to the effect that "of course, I'm trying to kill your baby." My wife quickly apologized, but the deed was done. The woman came back for her next visit and said she got the shot!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Covid won ...

I recently had a twitter "discussion" with someone from MA -- not an antivaxxer -- who was upset that I mentioned how my empathy bucket was pretty empty for people who consciously choose to ignore the last century of science about vaccinations. In addition to alluding to how much better a person he was, he said that the "death rate" from COVID in MA was now "only" three times higher for the unvaccinated than it was for the vaccinated ... i.e. even people who do everything right are dying in droves.

For starters, total deaths in MA are in the 60-100 per day range. Bad but not huge numbers. Secondly, even if the fraction of deaths was exactly as he described, in a population that is 75% fully vaccinated the death "rate" among the vaccinated would be very small compared to the "rate" among the unvaccinated. So many smart people (even liberals!) seemingly have real trouble thinking about "rates" within a population.

My lipidologist, who tilts very libertarian, has no empathy for those who refuse to get vaccinated either. She said something to me like, this may sound harsh, but, if they die, I'll feel like they deserved it.

Posts: 45723 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is harsh! Big Grin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The perpetually unemployed husband of a niece sent a text everyone on her side of the family, me and the family of my brother who died of Covid. He was protesting a mask mandate.
I told him what he could go and do to himself.
That alienated that branch of the family.
I mailed an apology when I felt like I should. Doubt it has been received yet.

Still wondering whether I will miss them.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25674 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seems to me like they worked very hard to alienate you and your brother's family.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
And then ...

... there are unvaccinated people who catch COVID voluntarily so that they can get a "pass" to resume life afterward, and then die of the disease.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:

Seems to me like they worked very hard to alienate you and your brother's family.

Nor do they seem to care much about your health or well being. I might stay away from them for a while.

Remember what my Dad taught me? “Family consists of people you’d have nothing to do with if you weren’t related.”

Dad was a bright guy.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34827 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post