well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Dhaka muslin

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dhaka muslin
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Nearly 200 years ago, Dhaka muslin was the most valuable fabric on the planet. Then it was lost altogether. How did this happen? And can we bring it back?

https://www.bbc.com/future/art...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Great story! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting that. Fascinating.
Have been involved in the cotton business since birth.
I should send that to the farmers that grow cotton on my land and tell him he should grow some of that.
I think I would get "Huh?" for an answer.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We have a good friend who was originally from Bangladesh; he came to the US as an adult in the late 1950s. I sent him the article....

quote:
About the story of muslin, of course I knew about it. The British Raj killed the local industry. The Colonial Brit's East India Company wanted to export their own textiles from England and they didn't want Bengali muslin, which was highly sought after in European markets, competing with them.

Muslin was such a fine fabric that a cloth, the size of a sari, could be folded into an empty matchbox.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Interesting stuff!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That was really interesting, thanks!

I’ve never spun cotton, only wool. And never very thin, except by accident. They call it a drop spindle for a reason. D’oh!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post