well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What are you reading?
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 15

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
The Miracle of Mindfulness:An Introduction to
the Practice of Meditation by Thich Nhat Hanh

Interesting choice.

What a fascinating person.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I'm in the middle of reading Jan Swafford's biography of Brahms. I've always been interested in learning more about the personality behind the music, and i haven't been disappointed. He was quite the young heartthrob in his time, with many crushes from the young and even older women around him. I keep being reminded of my time in Germany and Austria, including a trip I made to the Brahmshaus museum in Baden-Baden. The elderly curator went through the photo collection with me and emitted a few girlish sighs over the young swain Brahms. He *was* pretty!

I'm also reminded of our piano parties and music making over the years. Music created wonderful fellowship in his life as it has in ours.

Fun adjunct to the book is googling each piece as it is mentioned and listening online as i read about it.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A Warning, by Anonymous.

Every voter should read it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton
Why? I don't know.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
I'm in the middle of reading Jan Swafford's biography of Brahms. I've always been interested in learning more about the personality behind the music, and i haven't been disappointed. He was quite the young heartthrob in his time, with many crushes from the young and even older women around him. I keep being reminded of my time in Germany and Austria, including a trip I made to the Brahmshaus museum in Baden-Baden. The elderly curator went through the photo collection with me and emitted a few girlish sighs over the young swain Brahms. He *was* pretty!

I'm also reminded of our piano parties and music making over the years. Music created wonderful fellowship in his life as it has in ours.

Fun adjunct to the book is googling each piece as it is mentioned and listening online as i read about it.

I loved that book.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why? I don't know.

Zimmer likes Merton. Not sure why.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Why? I don't know.

Zimmer likes Merton. Not sure why.

Don’t know that I like Merton yet.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Merton was a decent guy - but I don't know what the fuss was about. He was a product of his times.

Recently finished...
The Year of Less by Cait Flanders
Smarter Faster Better by Charles Duhligg
Caffeine by Michael Pollan
Early by Sarah DiGregaria
My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsnburg
A Very Stable Genius By Phillip Rucker, Carol Leonnig
Year Zero by Ian Buruma

At the moment, reading
Successful Aging by Daniel Levitin
The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness for Kindle!

With all my spare time these days, I am loving..

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of DaleH
posted Hide Post
I daydreamed my way through American history in high school, but I'm loving this -

Posts: 335 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I just finished "On the Beach"

Not sure why I put myself through that again but in some ways it was inspiring.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Re-reading the Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout, from the beginning and in the order they were published.

Pure escapism.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Re-reading the Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout, from the beginning and in the order they were published.

Pure escapism.

I had forgotten about those - all 47 of them. And they're on Audible!

Can't wait to get started!

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The last thing I started was Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson. I really like his style.

I just don't have (or don't make) much time to read these days.

Maybe I should read a book for an hour before bed instead of reading the news on my phone. I would probably sleep better.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Steve - Have you seen the A&E series with Timothy Huttton as Archie and a wonderful actor named Maury Chaykin as Wolfe? I think it was way better than the William Conrad series.

I can send you my DVDs (set of 8 discs with two or three novels/novellas per disc) if you want to watch them. I don't think they're currently available new, and the used copies are absurdly expensive.

Great video binge.

Bazootiehead-in-training