well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What are you reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Papers on distributed ledger technology.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Cattle ranching in today's Utah by a Mormon family that is producing winning professional rodeo competitors.
The winning family members are smart enough to invest their winnings into the business. It is not a business for everyone.
The characters and their lives are interesting.
Have found videos of family members winning rodeo rides on Youtube.

A good read. It is unlike my usual reading choices.

The Last Cowboys

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

Make sure you post a review!

- nobody

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Um...my own book? Half of it, anyway. I left it for three weeks to go gallivanting and now I have to figure out where I was and what I was doing. Unfortunately, the halfway point is always the spot where I begin to hate the project, so this is the worst possible time to have to slog through re-reading it.

While on vacation, I read Agatha Christie's autobiography and I re-read Death on the Nile. Next up: Sparkling Cyanide, which is a Christie I've never read, although I've read the short story it's based on.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:

- nobody

You forgot to warn me not to post spoilers.

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

- nobody

You forgot to warn me not to post spoilers.

Perhaps you can post the cribs notes..I know I have to read up on it for work but ...ick..

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'll send you my notes (when I'm done reading). I hope they are at least a little comprehensible.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
Thanks for mentioning the Aaronovitch series. I have Rivers of London on-hold from my digital library. (That's the UK title for the first book in the series). It looks intriguing.

Finished off Millennium Trilogy this morning. Started on Little Fires Everywhere, which so far seems like it might be quite good. Got a David Baldacci queued up for some no-though reading. With just a little luck, the hold will turn into a loan just as I finish those two off.

Smiler

I read them: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6. Now reading #4, because it took longer from the library and I couldn’t wait. Spoilers abound if you read them out of order. Be patient!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Keep posting.
Bought two books based on posts so far.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Tell me one of them wasn’t “Distributed ledger technology for Dumnies”.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Just finished "The English Patient".

Brilliant and beautiful, but be forewarned the the beginning is so dreamlike and esoteric, with such mixed persons and tenses you may wonder how you're going to stand it.

Then suddenly, it grabs you.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
For reference on "The English Patient" (by Michael Ondaatje):

It was just named the "Best Man Booker Award in a public vote, meaning it was considered the best of the last fifty years. No, I hadn't heard of it before myself, but I gather it's a kind of elite club. Read about his win in the NYTimes. It was made into a movie some years ago, winning a slew of academy awards.

quote:
Michael Ondaatje and Barry Unsworth. But on Sunday evening Ondaatje edged ahead, with his bestselling novel The English Patient being named the best winner of the Booker prize of the last 50 years, in a public vote.

Twenty six years ago, the panel of judges were so unsure who should win the Man Booker in 1992 that they ended up with a tie: Michael Ondaatje and Barry Unsworth. But on Sunday evening Ondaatje edged ahead, with his bestselling novel The English Patient being named the best winner of the Booker prize of the last 50 years, in a public vote.

The Golden Booker was held this year to mark a half-century of the prize. A panel of judges read all 52 former winners of the award, with each assigned a decade from the Booker’s history.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...an-booker-prize.html

quote:
Man Booker...honors the best novels written in English and published in Britain or Ireland.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell me one of them wasn’t “Distributed ledger technology for Dumnies”.

Having a signed copy over nighted

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
For reference on "The English Patient" (by Michael Ondaatje):

It was just named the "Best Man Booker Award in a public vote, meaning it was considered the best of the last fifty years. No, I hadn't heard of it before myself, but I gather it's a kind of elite club. Read about his win in the NYTimes. It was made into a movie some years ago, winning a slew of academy awards.

quote:
Michael Ondaatje and Barry Unsworth. But on Sunday evening Ondaatje edged ahead, with his bestselling novel The English Patient being named the best winner of the Booker prize of the last 50 years, in a public vote.

Twenty six years ago, the panel of judges were so unsure who should win the Man Booker in 1992 that they ended up with a tie: Michael Ondaatje and Barry Unsworth. But on Sunday evening Ondaatje edged ahead, with his bestselling novel The English Patient being named the best winner of the Booker prize of the last 50 years, in a public vote.

The Golden Booker was held this year to mark a half-century of the prize. A panel of judges read all 52 former winners of the award, with each assigned a decade from the Booker’s history.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...an-booker-prize.html

quote:
Man Booker...honors the best novels written in English and published in Britain or Ireland.

Or Canada.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post