well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What are you reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading?
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
P*D, you might really enjoy it, given your new casa.

I'll have to take a look at it, in all my free time. Big Grin

quote:
PD, Did I miss something - did you finally move??

Finally? My wife and I have been interested in getting a home in the Santa Fe area for a number of years now. It will be a second home / rental until I retire. Last year was the first time we actually hooked up with a real estate agent and toured some places. We met up again this year to refine our likes and dislikes and came away with a contract on a house... Ole

We close on the beast later this month. And this has nothing to do with "what I'm reading."

On that score, I'm actually going back to Terry Pratchett's old Discworld series. I'm now in book 4 (Mort).

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT I COULD MURDER A CURRY RIGHT NOW.

I LOVE Discworld. Probably irrationally so.

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Meme for the flat earth society ...

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
PD, forget my question about moving.

The acronym/avatar situation with overlap between WTF and Faceook gets to me sometimes more than others.

I MEANT PJ NOT PD

If you glance back, you'll see I also segued to commenting to "PD" about "his" opinion on "Burmese Days". That's because I was mentally talking to PJ (who as best I understand, still lives in a house which has become massively up-valued because of being located in a gentrified neighborhood with zillionaires right and left.

Having confused the names (initials), naturally I couldn't figure how PJ could have moved without my having been apprised of it.

Yes, I know you (PD) recently purchased a lovely new (second) home in a Southerly location.

(I really DO wish there were fewer names to remember between all our online identities. I know there are still at least a half dozen "friends" I'm confusing because of their/your having different names in different contexts. It wasn't a problem before the ascendance of Facebook, and its insistence on using "real names" even though many have since found name workarounds since FBK was launched.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Great, Amanda. In the last few months I read Animal Farm, Road to Wigan Pier, Down and Out in Paris and London, Burmese Days, and Homage to Catalonia.

I’m going back for more Orwell after this little vacation pause, courtesy of Ken:

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Well, I had my coffee but failed to find my TNCR introduction thread. In fairness to me, it is 3,000 pages. Lol.

Chas, the date would be before I joined WTF. 1 1/2 years before I started here is my best guess.

Do let me know if you happen to find it. I'd like to read it.

I failed to mention I'm reading, the file library (the only one in the English speaking world, I applaud the people who created it) containing the official records of the Meredith Kercher murder investigation and the trials of Rudy Guede, Raffaele Sollecito, and Amanda Knox.

http://themurderofmeredithkerc..._Files_by_chronology

I've been reading these translations for a few years.

Posts: 24711 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
So what was it like?

Meh.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Great, Amanda. In the last few months I read Animal Farm, Road to Wigan Pier, Down and Out in Paris and London, Burmese Days, and Homage to Catalonia.

I’m going back for more Orwell after this little vacation pause, courtesy of Ken:

Jon, I know cheap isn't always a great treat (like the Orwell), but here are a few other hugely discounted "complete works of" I keep getting notices of - perhaps because I bought the Orwell, in which case you will already gotten them yourself! Smiler

But just in case:

Complete Works Virginia Woolf

Complete Works F. Scott Fitzgerald

Complete Works Thomas Wolfe

Complete Works Henry James

Complete Works Edith Wharton

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
So what was it like?

Meh.

Sorry.

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
My reading list currently consists of finishing off the last of Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy, along with the occasional no-thought-required Jack Reacher thriller. Smiler

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Smiler

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m plowing through Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London series. A cross between police procedurals and Harry Potter. Yes, there’s magic. A fun romp, but it can be kind of dark, too.

First one is called Midnight Riot.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for mentioning the Aaronovitch series. I have Rivers of London on-hold from my digital library. (That's the UK title for the first book in the series). It looks intriguing.

Finished off Millennium Trilogy this morning. Started on Little Fires Everywhere, which so far seems like it might be quite good. Got a David Baldacci queued up for some no-though reading. With just a little luck, the hold will turn into a loan just as I finish those two off.

Smiler

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post

Excellent so far...

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
]
Excellent read. Very detailed, occasionally too much, but overall a joy to read. I will move on to volumes II and II with breaks in between.

One complaint - he spends a bit too much time complaining about all the biographers before him that got stuff wrong. At one point about 1/4 of the way in I thought 'who's he writing this for, the other 10 or so living Liszt biographers?'

But it really doesn't detract that much. Overall a good read.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Now on to this:

I've never read but small bits from him. Seems like a hole I need to fill.