well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What are you reading?
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 15

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading?
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I am reading "Midnight at Chernobyl." It is one of the best non-fiction books I have ever read.

Learned of it on the list of 2019 Best Ten Books of 2019 from NYT.

Only five books on the list were non-fiction. That's how good it is.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I just finished "On the Beach"

Not sure why I put myself through that again but in some ways it was inspiring.

OMG. ..This book is one I will never forget..I read in 7th or 8th grade..got a sunburn on vaca as I could not put it down.

I think of it often now along with "Andromeda Strain"..

On the Beach

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
[sidetrack]I keep thinking about Andromeda Strain, as well. The whole point was to study the two people who survived to understand why. Seems that that's a big part of what our doctors and researchers are doing now... why are some perfectly healthy people dying from CV19 and others aren't. The broad categories from the first wave in China may not be telling the whole story.

Andromeda Strain was one of the first adult novels I read. I think I was about 12 or 13 when I read it. I remember staying up the whole night to finish Day 2.[/sidetrack]

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see some of us are reading, um, lighter fiction.

Someone else: I'm reading The Iliad. In Greek. The translation is so substandard, I find it quite annoying.

Me: I'm reading my daughter's Shopaholic novels she left here when she moved out at age 17. Big Grin

Seriously, I just finished "Girl, Woman, Other," which was fine but I didn't honestly understand the hubbub. Yes, it's written using unconventional grammar, but beyond that it was an interesting story but not a page-turner.

I just started "Unorthodox," which is the memoir that inspired the Netflix miniseries of the same name. I found the Netflix show to be pretty good, other than an odd time acceleration that implied that a lot of events seemed to happen over the course of about 5 days. The book is much more detailed and very interesting. I recommend it--particularly if you haven't seen the Netflix series yet, but even if you have. It's the story of a woman who escapes her ultra-orthodox childhood in Williamsburg and moves to Berlin.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I want to read Love in the Time of Cholera. I don’t know anything about it, but the title keeps popping into my head. I also want to read MacBeth. Because we are at Lady MacBeth-level hand washing.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
I want to read Love in the Time of Cholera. I don’t know anything about it, but the title keeps popping into my head. I also want to read MacBeth. Because we are at Lady MacBeth-level hand washing.

I have been thinking the same thing.

I chose "Murmur of the Bees" as it popped up as recommended on Amazon..I thought for bee reasons.

Turns out several chapters take place during the 1918 flu pandemic. Blink

Still it is very good reading.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
This is beautifully written and good lessons for our times.

MillCityGrows.org

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading "Unorthodox," the memoir that inspired the Netflix miniseries. It was fascinating... dealt with her life up to the point of leaving her Hasidic community, and slightly beyond. The miniseries took a LOT of artistic license! But what was interesting about the book were the details about her community, the ritual, the things that only someone from there would know. I'd recommend it. I'm currently reading her followup, "Exodus," which picks up pretty much right where the previous book left off.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Nina, that is next on my list. You might like this interview with her from Dutch arts org TV. She has many more details she didn't put into the book.

She also mentioned that she lost some control over the book when she signed the deal. She was just too young and inexperienced to know better.

Deborah Feldman interview

MillCityGrows.org

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I finished In a Sunburned Country. It was good and interestingly, it came out the same year as the year when I first visited Australia. But by the end of it, I found Bill Bryson’s writing predictable and a bit tedious.

Going for something completely different, I’m now reading A Rose for Virtue by Nora Lofts, a historical novel about Hortense Beauharnais. Not my usual fare, but well written. A couple years ago, I read her novel A Wayside Tavern which was enjoyable.

I have sworn off reading the news on my phone at bedtime. I have a house full of books I haven’t read.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
Nina, that is next on my list. You might like this interview with her from Dutch arts org TV. She has many more details she didn't put into the book.

She also mentioned that she lost some control over the book when she signed the deal. She was just too young and inexperienced to know better.

Deborah Feldman interview

I want to read the book as well. Apparently, there has been some backlash (in the form of swamping sites with negative reviews) from her former community. Lots of accusing her of lying, standing up for the community and people in it, etc. My guess is that the truth lies somewhere between the two extremes, though that doesn’t negate her memory of her experiences.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:

I want to read the book as well. Apparently, there has been some backlash (in the form of swamping sites with negative reviews) from her former community. Lots of accusing her of lying, standing up for the community and people in it, etc.

Interesting..as I thought they were not allowed the use of internet? In a short interview online, she gives a very concise history of how the communities came to be..and their legacy of suffering (much self inflicted).

I encourage you to watch the longer interview in my above post..some elements were surprising...her parents for one and her ex husband...don't want to offer spoilers here, but not things that made it into the book.

What comes out of it is that she is very self aware, is in control of her own life, and she has a lovely sense of humor.

All sorts of sects fascinate me.. Mormons as well. There are so many common threads in them all.

MillCityGrows.org

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Why We Sleep" - excellent and highly recommended. Few understand the impact of sleep deprivation on health. This book discusses some of the impact of poor sleep on health both mental and physical. Also covers some intervention that people take and their impact - both positive and negative.

Currently reading "Lifespan" - interesting book discussing the work on treating aging as a disease condition that can be addressed through lifestyle and medical intervention. The book is fairly current on recent work done in the field.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
.don't want to offer spoilers here, but not things that made it into the book.

I totally agree. I didn't want to do spoilers, either, but there's a lot that didn't make it to the screen that helps clarify a lot of different people's behaviors.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Not reading it yet, but Unorthodox on Netflix is great treadmill fodder. Incentives!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post