well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Border Patrol FB group
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Border Patrol FB group
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
We spent 50 years getting rid of the spoils system. It was probably the biggest political issue of the late 19th century. Surely we don’t want to bring it back.

Yes, I see your point. I don't agree with the analogy. Setting higher ethical standards, imparting the necessary training, and then removing employees who misbehave or who will not internalize the standards isn't the same thing as rewarding your friends with supper at the public trough.

This whole organization may need a reorganization. Perhaps firing everyone (closing the organization) would not be cost effective. But making continuance depend on a vetting plus additional training might work well to weed out the petty tyrants.

It starts from the top, of course. The leadership must set a standard for behavior and act to replace any direct report at a lower level who fails to bring their own workforce into compliance with ethical norms. Give the managers the power to discipline and replace based on clear standards and then remove any manager who doesn't walk the walk.

Yes, people have civil service protections. They can't be removed without cause. But employers often shy away from discipline even when they have cause. That is often the path of least resistance, so they lose the good employees who won't tolerate the environment and retain the disrupters. I have seen that process at work personally.

If I were king, I would put in place managers who would remove any lower level employee who did not live up to the higher standards I wanted to impart to the organization. Investigate and act. I suspect a new culture can be created.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Yes, people have civil service protections. They can't be removed without cause. But employers often shy away from discipline even when they have they have cause. That is often the path of least resistance, so they lose the good employees who won't tolerate the environment and retain the disrupters. I have seen that process at work personally.

This. One hundred times this.

Being conflict-averse is a not-uncommon trait. And people don't want to waste their time dealing with appeals and lawsuits.

quote:
If I were king, I would put in place managers who would remove any lower level employee who did not live up to the higher standards I wanted to impart to the organization. Investigate and act. I suspect a new culture can be created.

Changing a culture is INCREDIBLY hard. It can be done, but it takes an iron will at the top, and a bit of ruthlessness to weed out anyone who won't get with the program and to set examples. And, even then, you have to deal with guerrilla insubordination and undercutting.

It takes a long time and a lot of effort. And some employees will just try to keep their heads down and wait it out until new bosses come in ... kind of like normal people are doing with the Trump Administration now.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yes, PD, that’s the way to fix it. Set new standards and enforce.

Not fire and rehire. That’s a direct line to 1880.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Customs and Border Protection officials have been aware for up to three years that a secret Facebook group for current and former Border Patrol agents was posting offensive messages — far longer than previously reported.

Border Patrol leadership knew about photos posted to the group as far back as 2016, when agents reported them, according to a current Homeland Security official. The images — several of which were provided to POLITICO — show agents engaging in conduct that includes simulating sex acts and taking selfies while defecating. A former DHS official said he was aware of the Facebook group during the past year.

quote:
In one screenshot that the current DHS official says was flagged in 2016 to then-Border Patrol Chief Mark Morgan, an agent — carrying a gun in a holster — simulated sex with a training mannequin in the desert. In another, what appeared to be the same agent smiled while holding what appeared to be a human skull. The caption made reference to handling “a little human remains” during canine training.

Morgan, who was recently named acting chief of CBP, did not answer POLITICO's request for comment.

https://www.politico.com/story...cebook-group-1569572

edit: There were 9500 members of the original group, some current and other former CBP agents. The current force consists of about 47,000 employees.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37926 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post