well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Border Patrol FB group
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Border Patrol FB group
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
How enchanting.

quote:
Members of a secret Facebook group for current and former Border Patrol agents joked about the deaths of migrants, discussed throwing burritos at Latino members of Congress visiting a detention facility in Texas on Monday and posted a vulgar illustration depicting Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez engaged in oral sex with a detained migrant, according to screenshots of their postings.

In one exchange, group members responded with indifference and wisecracks to the post of a news story about a 16-year-old Guatemalan migrant who died in May while in custody at a Border Patrol station in Weslaco, Texas. One member posted a GIF of Elmo with the quote, “Oh well.” Another responded with an image and the words “If he dies, he dies.”

https://www.propublica.org/art...s-post-sexist-memes#

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The next administration needs to control government employment. We should start by shutting down ICE and the Border Patrol. Then rehire only people who have been more thoroughly vetted.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What P*D said.

Ugh, how absolutely horrible. Are those folks just pure evil? Maybe the job has damaged them?

After we clean up ICE and BP, can we maybe do TSA too?

Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I used to think that there was no point in shuttering ICE and the Border Patrol. You'd just have to restart them.

And I still think there's no point while this idiot Administration is in power.

But maybe it would enable the next Administration to start fresh without riffing restrictions or other protections for incompetent and malevolent employees.

It'd be quite a disruption, both to the country and the decent staff, though.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
But it might be necessary in order to root out the truly despicable people who currently "work" there. The "good ones" could be rehired, after a very thorough background check and some really thorough ethics training.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Bullies with badges. As P*D says, this would give the opportunity for the good ICE agents to remain. And there are some.

It's a fairly common procedure to have employees re-apply for their jobs following a significant organizational or skills change. No longer match the requirements? Either get trained or get a new job.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Well, since this is the same FB that is just filled with fake stuff, I think I'd take this with a grain of salt. If you were a BP agent, would you risk your career just to vent in a social media group?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You must not have read the article.

People do it all the time.

eta: Of course it's possible that someone set them up and it's a hoax; I'll be watching to see if that's what happened.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Assuming it is true, in any group of people there are idiots. FB gives them all a voice. It does not follow that they are representative of Border Patrol agents. Some cops talk like that too.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The CBP is taking it seriously.

quote:
The CBP on Monday announced that it reached out to the agency’s Inspector General after learning of the posts in the group.

"These posts are completely inappropriate and contrary to the honor and integrity I see — and expect— from our agents day in and day out," Border Patrol chief Carla Provost said in a statement.

"Any employees found to have violated our standards of conduct will be held accountable."

The investigation comes after an analysis of thousands of police officers’ Facebook accounts published by BuzzFeed News and Injustice Watch earlier this year which found hundreds of violent and racist posts.

https://thehill.com/latino/451...lled-with-derogatory

eta: As far as cops doing it too, that was my point when I said people do it all the time.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Well, since this is the same FB that is just filled with fake stuff, I think I'd take this with a grain of salt. If you were a BP agent, would you risk your career just to vent in a social media group?

Possibly, but Propublica is a well-respected group. Of course they could have gotten it wrong, but I'm more inclined to believe them than any of a number of other so-called "investigative journalism" groups.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

Posts: 24711 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The pictures coming out of this story are horrendous.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
The next administration needs to control government employment. We should start by shutting down ICE and the Border Patrol. Then rehire only people who have been more thoroughly vetted.

We spent 50 years getting rid of the spoils system. It was probably the biggest political issue of the late 19th century. Surely we don’t want to bring it back.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post