well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Another white guy got arrested

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another white guy got arrested
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
... not shot and killed at the scene, or beat up, or strangled...

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-ne...-shooting/index.html

My gut guess is that he identifies as "christian" too, but I don't have any specific info on this continuing white terrorist activity in our country.

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no one casually knelt on his neck for nine minutes.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Unjustified killings of black people by police is not a justification for police killing white criminals if they can apprehend them without doing so.

The man who killed my brother-in-law and 10 other people is in jail still awaiting trial as his legal representatives seemingly exhaust all possible strategies to delay a trial. I think that is where he belongs, even though I know people who think the officers who finally captured him believe he should have been executed at the scene of his crimes.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7400 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone would argue that the police SHOULD have killed him on the spot. I'm just pointing out the jarring difference between killing a disorderly conduct suspect who was whimpering his last breath away while politely restraining someone who has just gunned down ten people in cold blood in a hate-filled racist massacre.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I can’t help but wonder what kind of national outcry and racial profiling there would be if black peoples were the ones routinely committing mass murders.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I can’t help but wonder what kind of national outcry and racial profiling there would be if black peoples were the ones routinely committing mass murders.

It depends on how you define it. Here’s an NYT article that found black suspects account for the vast majority of mass shootings (70%!) despite being only 13% of the population. Here they define mass shootings as 4 or more victims.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/0...ed-gun-violence.html

But those are mostly gang related, some involving multiple shooters, and the press doesn’t really promote them.

What they promote are ‘lone Wolf’ shooters of multiple victims and those tend to be white males.

Another key difference is the handful of white ‘lone wolf’ shooters tend to hang around and finish off the wounded and get caught and/or killed by police. The hundreds of black gang mass shooters figure they’ll lay low at grandma’s house until things blow over so they run when they hear sirens.

Generalizing of course but this is how it nets out in the aggregate.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
So to sum it up, if you define mass shootings as “crazy dude kills a bunch of random people” then it’s basically a white male thing and it gets lots of coverage.

If you define mass shootings as “4 or more people got shot” then it’s basically a black thing and the press looks the other way.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Stepping away from looking at this from the perspective of race...

Seems to me gang wars are literally a form of war. The combatants are defending their turf against known entities who are perceived as enemies. These wars also include the usual collateral damage in the form of innocents occasionally getting caught in the crossfire. In the US, early versions of gangs included the Italian and Irish mafias, but I believe they exist all over the world in local forms. The gangs, at least as they start out, seem to be a survival mechanism against poverty. Eventually they may evolve to be a power center to preserve what's been gained.

The other flavor, "crazy dude kills a bunch of random people", involves either a) someone with mental health issues who simply flips out or b) someone with an ideological ax to grind who takes deadly action. I think it hits home with more people because it happens in places where people don't normally see that kind of violence.

I know better than to go to 26th and California because I know it's a war zone and it's dangerous. News of shootings there don't get my attention or affect me the way a shooting at the grocery store I shop at every week would....

Of course all of this seems to run counter to the argument that an armed society is a polite society....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37872 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The other thing re: white v black thing, is who the shooter targeted. I looked at it awhile back so my memory is fuzzy and of course the data has changed. But I recall that black shooters tended to target other black people, while white shooters were more situationally specific. There are white mass shooters who go after anyone without any particular reason, and there are white mass shooters who target based on race, religion, etc. The black shooters targeting white people is statistically rare.

Again, working from memory.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:

It depends on how you define it. Here’s an NYT article that found black suspects account for the vast majority of mass shootings (70%!) despite being only 13% of the population. Here they define mass shootings as 4 or more victims.

But those are mostly gang related, some involving multiple shooters, and the press doesn’t really promote them.

What they promote are ‘lone Wolf’ shooters of multiple victims and those tend to be white males.

Another key difference is the handful of white ‘lone wolf’ shooters tend to hang around and finish off the wounded and get caught and/or killed by police. The hundreds of black gang mass shooters figure they’ll lay low at grandma’s house until things blow over so they run when they hear sirens.

Interesting. 36 hours after I wrote this there’s a mass shooting in Chicago, 9 people shot two dead.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/new...ice-say/2837660/?amp

It didn’t make national news. No big spread of the victims in the Times or the Post. No deep dives into the killer’s life, wondering what red flags were missed. In fact not a mention in either paper at all.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
The answer to gun violence is simple: Do not let men own guns.

Men are responsible for, what, 90% of gun crimes.

Yet we still let men own guns.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
My guess would be higher than that.

I saw an interesting chart that showed percent of homicides by sex as a function of the number of homicides.

In countries with very very low levels of homicide there was near equality between men and women committing them. Like the base rate is just very very personal homicide like spouses or family members killing each other.

The higher the number of homicides, the more it skewed male.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Interesting. 36 hours after I wrote this there’s a mass shooting in Chicago, 9 people shot two dead.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/new...ice-say/2837660/?amp

It didn’t make national news. No big spread of the victims in the Times or the Post. No deep dives into the killer’s life, wondering what red flags were missed. In fact not a mention in either paper at all.

Here either. I suppose you could say it was 10 incidents, but the result is the same - 12 dead in one weekend.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...4097aaf9a3abd4df3e60

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
9 killed, more than 60 injured in Memorial Day weekend mass shootings

The Gun Violence Archive said it recorded at least 14 mass shootings, in which four or more victims were shot or killed, across the nation over the long weekend.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...ootings-us-rcna31179

I posted about the Gun Violence Archive a few days ago:

http://well-temperedforum.grou...0004433/m/6603942797

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37872 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post