well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Burner phones for Olympic athletes

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burner phones for Olympic athletes
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Olympic burner phones? Athletes warned about bringing personal devices to China for 2022 Beijing Games

https://www.msn.com/en-us/spor...ing-games/ar-AASKjnJ

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes, of course. You don't just have to worry about this in China. I think I have mentioned the story Robert Gates told me about France. He was giving a talk once, during the big flap about the US listening in on Angela Merkel's cell phone. He asked his audience if they had been in Paris in the recent past. Most hands up. He asked if they had taken their laptop with them. All hands up. He asked how many of them had ever left their laptop in their hotel room when they went out for the evincing. Very few hands up. Then he told the hands down folks that while they were out there was a very good chance that the French secret service, which works hand in glove with French state-owned companies, had likely entered their rooms with the knowledge and permission of the hotel. While there, the secret service would have downloaded the contents of your laptop looking for any information that could be of benefit to your French competitors.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yes, and China is particularly notorious. We had burner laptops and phones anytime anyone had to travel to China, and it was clearly for G-rated email only, no confidential info--primarily for the marketing guys who traveled in/out with some frequency.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yep. We have always been told that any university-issue laptops could not be taken to China, and the recommendation is also not to take any personal laptops, tablets or phones.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post