well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Smell tests vs fever checks

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smell tests vs fever checks
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Of all the nose-to-toes symptoms of Covid-19, the loss of the sense of smell — also known as anosmia — could work particularly well as an add-on to temperature checks, significantly increasing the proportion of infected people identified by screening in airports, workplaces, and other public places.

“My impression is that anosmia is an earlier symptom of Covid-19 relative to fever, and some infected people can have anosmia and nothing else,” said physician Andrew Badley, who heads a virus lab at the Mayo Clinic. “So it’s potentially a more sensitive screen for asymptomatic patients.”

In a recent study, Badley and colleagues found that Covid-19 patients were 27 times more likely than others to have lost their sense of smell. But they were only 2.6 times more likely to have fever or chills, suggesting that anosmia produces a clearer signal and may therefore be a better Covid-catching net than fever.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/...ture-checks-covid19/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37744 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
A while back I remember seeing a checkpoint in some country, maybe South Korea, where people were asked to sniff one or two of five different bottles and say what the smell was. Among the bottles were things like cider vinegar, vanillin, lavender, garlic, and rose. Anyone who couldn't name the odor was given a swab test.

I usually have a cup of double-bergamot Earl Grey tea every morning. I use that as my daily "how am I smellin'?" check.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have been gifted a very strong scented handmade soap...Rather than use it to lather, I sniff it every day to be sure I can still smell it.

Once this is over, I will wash my hands with it! Big Grin

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I did not lose my sense of smell. Steve felt like he couldn’t taste anything.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20409 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I did not lose my sense of smell. Steve felt like he couldn’t taste anything.

Did his sense of taste come back? And if it did, how long before it did? Just curious!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post