well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What Spotify knows

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Spotify knows
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
All the Ways Spotify Tracks You—and How to Stop It

Whether you're listening to workout music or a "cooking dinner" playlist, the app can show you ads based on your mood and what you're doing right now.

https://www.wired.com/story/sp...king-how-to-stop-it/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37847 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I know this is a huge business, but I can't quite figure out how anyone makes much money from it. Confused

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34881 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I know this is a huge business, but I can't quite figure out how anyone makes much money from it. Confused

Least of all the musicians.

The site that really supports musicians is Bandcamp.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13796 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I have two "albums" available on Spotify:

1. My Piano Album: https://open.spotify.com/album...eXWuhLQBSSHTAotvWBIQ

2. The China Tune / Ode to Prosperity album: https://open.spotify.com/album...qU8YTRTGGvRNiJca8y3g

No, I do not make much money from it. I am too lazy to figure out what the dollar figure works out to "per stream" for my music, but some other folks collected the data and done the math. For example: https://freeyourmusic.com/blog...otify-pay-per-stream ... the estimate there says *"[Spotify] pays on the average $0.004 per playback. Thus, it's necessary to reach 250 listeners to earn at least a dollar."*

In the not-so-old days, lots of people downloaded and listened to pirated MP3s for free, some people pay Apple.com or Amazon.com something like 99¢ to download a track. Does the old model works out to better or worse than "streaming 250 times for $1"? I have no idea. It's easy to conclude that the person who pays 99¢ for a track probably will not listen to that same track 250 times in his lifetime, but that does not amortize to a lot of others who pirated the track without paying.

There are huge successes for sure, but online distribution notwithstanding, as a percentage I suppose music is still not an endeavor that pays a living wage to the vast majority who play, sing, or compose music. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12687 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

The site that really supports musicians is Bandcamp.
I looked up Bandcamp since you mentioned it. Do you know if Bandcamp just sell your music on its own site or does it also redistribute your music to some other sites? (E.g., Bandcamp does not redistribute to Spotify or Apple Music, right?)

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about Bandcamp except that the composers and performers who use it rave about it. Your payments go directly to the artists, I think. I am not "on" Bandcamp but know many of my musician friends are.

I would expect that they don't redistribute music to other sites, but I don't know the mechanics of it.

If you purchase music on Bandcamp, the artist knows you did, and I think you can even communicate back and forth.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13796 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I get that the artists don't get much, but who buys all of this data and how do they make any money off of it?

They can show me ads (a few get past adblock) but I don't click on them, or buy from them, and I doubt many others do either.

Or maybe they do? Confused

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34881 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
https://musically.com/2021/04/...ribers-and-a-profit/

It says Spotify started turning a (small) profit in Q1 2021. Revenue from subscription overwhelms revenue from advertising 10 to 1. Shrug

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We have a subscription (includes Hulu), and we don’t get ads.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9794 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post